Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 and 76 Interchange???

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bryanrash, Feb 13, 2006.

1. bryanrash

bryanrash Registered Member

I have a 72 and a 76 truck. Both are 4x4 half tons. Will the parts between the two be interchangeable? What about with a 72 K5?

2. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

Some parts are. Some are not. For example, I have the Dana 44 front axle out of a 76 on my 72 K5.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

'69 - '72 are very interchangeable.....

There are select things you can also use from later trucks:

Engine/Transmission/Transfercase
    Axles
    Rear Springs

Frames are completely different, front springs aren't the same length...body panels are obviously different. Seats might interchange with some extra work on mounts.

The beauty of playing with Chevys is that a LOT of interchange exists between 1969 and 1991. That becomes important when you start looking for beefier axles, etc. It's pretty easy to find parts that will work.

:usaflag:

4. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Axles...fronts will interchange up till '80-something (87 IIRC, maybe later for the solid front axle trucks that didn't get the new body style until 92). 3/4 & 1 ton rears will "bolt in" but the axle tubes are bigger and will require wider U-bolts

Rears, the 73+ 1-ton rear axles will interchange into the 67-72 1/2 tons/K5's as the leaf spring pads are the same width apart. 3/4 & 1/2 ton 73+ rears will need the spring pads moved in.

I am in the process of swapping a set of axles from a '77 3/4T 4x4 underneath my '71 K5 Blazer, the front axle was an easy swap with a couple buddies, I just bolted the rear in with a piece of 2x4 on the axle tube so that I could roll it in the barn...too cold to work on it out here, when I pay my hosting bill I'll post up a bunch of pics of the swap progress.