Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 Blazer Paint Color Question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joryyroj, Feb 28, 2005.

1. joryyroj

joryyroj Registered Member

i recently purchased a 1972 chevy blazer from another member here (mike perez) I have been struggling with paint color choices, and just wanted to get others opinions? I live in the Dallas texas area and I am thinking of painting the blazer either Red or Black. If I go red I was thinking an extremely bright red like from a dodge viper etc or a deep black. I live in texas so not really sure if Black is the most practical. Anyone have any experience comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jory

2. KiwiK5

KiwiK5 Registered Member

Black Death

My '72 originally came with the black top. In SoCal, you couldn't hold your hand against the inside for more than a few seconds. After we painted it gloss white, the fiberglass was just slightly warm. Also, black is a beeyatch to keep clean and will show every tiny flaw in the sheetmetal. Not an big issue if you're building a rig for wheeling, but something to consider.

3. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

I also recently bought a 72 and am mulling over colors myself, But black is not one of them. Like Kiwi k-5 said its a terrible color for showing flaws.With an older vehicle it shows every little dip and wave and its also hard to buff if you dont get it pretty smooth from the start.On the other hand, if paint and body work are done right and when its been cleaned, many think its the nicest looking color of all.

4. tims71

tims71 Registered Member

Black's the way to go!!!:grin:

5. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

IMHO, it depends on how you plan on rebuilding it. If you're going stock or close to stock, I always like to go with the original color, or at least an original color from the year. If you're doing significant modifications it's a free-for all. I agree, though, with the earlier threads that black is nasty to cover anything less than an absolutely perfect preparation, and is tough to upkeep. Plus, as you indicated, the heat buildup. Good luck!

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Classic trucks need classic paint colors......period.

Cover a 1st Gen with "Chromallusion" paint and it just looks WRONG!!! Cover it with some modern GM color and it still looks wrong...

Bust out the color charts from GM from the late 60's and early '70s....expand your search to the Corvette colors, and some other Chevy marques... there are some great colors there....and they will "look" right when you're done.

7. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Choices

Here's a link to a color chip library.

As for a color, I went with a color that everybody else seems to run away from.:dunno:
    So I'll hang onto my 2 cents reguarding the color thing.;)

Link:
    http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/scripts/depot.exe?pgm=aclgate.bbx

I always really liked the hugger orange on the blazers but it's kinda getting over done.

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

One more vote for older color options on Classic rides ......:D

Tom