Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 brake info and soft top opinions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nbasch, Mar 7, 2006.

1. nbasch

nbasch Registered Member

I'm doing alittle updating on my blazer before summer rolls around, I heard you can put a one ton booster on it to help with the stopping, if so what model do i get one for, also where would I go about getting a disc setup for the rear? Looking for opinions on soft tops, looking at the Kayline Fastrack, anyone got and suggestions, i don't believe Can Back makes one for this year model, let me know

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

A 1 ton master cylinder will help with stopping after a disc conversion.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I put in a Master/Booster setup from a 72 K30. 1Ton uses a double diaphram booster and doubled my stopping power. With my 1/2 ton setup I could not stop fast or lock the tires on pavement. Now I can lock up the tires. WAY better. I have rear drums too (D60).
    Search this fourm. There is a thread about this. You have to swap the lines that go from the Master to the P-Valve. Atleaset my 72 1/2 ton stuff was opposite. I got replacement lines from In-Line Tube for like 25 bucks.
    [​IMG]
    You can see the booster is much fatter & the new lines going to the P-Valve.
    I did have to mess with the support rods that bolt to the Booster but other than that it was a direct bolt on deal.
    Hope this helps

Oh and the Soft top...Search like last week or so we have a thread on this as well. I posted some pick of the FastTrack I just installed..
    Burt

4. grizzlyoffroad

grizzlyoffroad 1/2 ton status

If you really want some stopping power, I hear that the boost kit that Offroad Unlimited sells if a very good option. Those guys usually don't do anything half a$$, so I trust their stuff. The only downside, like most good parts, is the price. I think the kit for 67-72 rigs is between $600 and $700. Check their website, tell me what you find out. I am interested in doing something like this also. Good luck.

PS. As for the soft tops, I would check with Offroad Designs, they have a nice top for the 1st generation blazers.