Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 Dana 44 axles vs 73 up

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rusty68, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

What are the differences between the 72 down disc front end and the 73 up? I noticed that the hubs are bolt on rather then the inner mounted style. Someone told me the 72 down have weaker shafts. So what is the deal? I have a 71 and a 76 front to choose from. Inform me all wise chevy gods....

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if the hubs are the bolt on iam assuming 3/8 bolts and they are spicers. these are not made any more and cant be fixed. something to think about. they do have weaker u joints on the earlier. if you plan on crossover sterring you need the flat top knuckles (71). but i think it all can swap between the 2 axels, might have to change bearings for the better shafts. this is IIRC though. do a search triaged has explained this many times. several to me.

nathan

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

These will be the same axles -

In 77 it split to heavier Dana 44s - didn't I give you the Dana 44 conversion link the other day? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm looking for the bearing hubs for a 73-76 3/4 ton front axle if you want to make some $$

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

'72 down has the smaller ujoints. If they haven't been changed allready. The big bolt on hubs on the 3/4 tons cross over to ford hubs too. Check the '76 to see if the right side is a flat top knuckle too.

5. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Ok, here is what I have been faced with. I know a guy that will trade me my 76 Dana 3/4 ton front for a complete 71 front axle and rear 12 bolt. I had asked about the 44 to 10 bolt parts interchange, but I did not see any info in there about the early style fronts. Maybe I need to re-read it. so I will for go the questions I now have until that time. Besides you gotta cut me some slack. I am new:)

6. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Ok, so from my search I gathered that the later style axle shafts will slide in place of the early style enabling you to ditch the weaker/smaller ujoints. And since that is possible, then you no doubt could use a later internal hub in the event you blow one of the unreplaceable external type. I think I just melted my brain.....

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

good work...keep looking as I have the same problem /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Theres plenty of the early style hubs out there. You just have to look at jeep/ ford/ dodge trucks to find them. The other companys kept running external style hubs after chevy switched to internal hubs.

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if youi replace the outer locking hub assembly with internal hubs you should be alright.all dana 44 shafts are interchaneable.the pre73 were weaker and a cheap upgrade is to change to post 73 shafts and ujoints.in my opinion the warn hubs run the best and i think they hae some kind of warantee.ive gotten a couple of parts for free from them.

10. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I picked up a D44 today with all good parts except the pinion bearing is shot. So I will use it for my outer swap. It even has warn hubs! A bonus for $35.00

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

the hubs locks alone are 80 bucks so you got a great deal.

12. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sweet - that's an awesome find!