Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 door panel removal, how?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tdcombs, May 31, 2005.

1. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

How do i get the door panels off on my 72 blazer? Im not seeing any screws anywhere.

Thank you.

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Do you have the arm rests removed along with the window crank and the door crank? On my 69 K20 and my 70 K5 there are also 4 screws along the bottom of the door panel that have to be removed. The top of the panel goes into a metal strip and sometimes it takes a good tug to get the panel to pop out of that strip.

3. tdcombs

I havent taken off anything yet. Ive heard that the 72 panels are different then 67-71 but im not sure how. There are two holes in the sides of the arm rests but i didnt see any screws inside they holes :confused: . Im scared to just start pulling when i really dont know whats there.

The previous owner put power door locks in my blazer and i want them out. I only rarely put the top on and i want the mess of wiring out of my blazer. I would just cut the wires off at the door and leave the hardware inside the door, but i might decide to put the power locks on something else later so i dont want to do that.

4. tdcombs

no ones had these off?

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The only thing different about the '72 is that the panel is thicker....so the window crank and door release lever mechanisms are also longer. That's why you will see a different part number for the '72 model year on door-related stuff.

Once you've removed the armrest (2 screws) and the door release handle (a spring clip underneath the lever) the rest of the panel is only held in place by those infernally annoying plastic clips around the perimeter. Gentle prying will allow you to pull them off.... odds are you'll break about half of them in the process, but they are cheap and easy to find.

:usaflag:

6. tdcombs

Ok so i got the arm rests off and pulled one corner back and broke the plastic clips, which can be easily replaced. But i still havent got the door handle or the window crank handle off. How do these come off? Is there a clip in there that im just not seeing or do they come off a different way?

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yes.

Each handle is retained on the shaft with a spring clip. The shafts are splined, and there is a small notch that allows the clip to lock into place (it's sort of like a C-clip but not quite...

It's possible to remove them without the "specialty tool" (a flat tool that slides underneath the handles and opens up those clips) but the tool is so cheap that you should probably just go buy one.... the local auto parts store should have it.

When you see what the tools looks like, you will probably understand better what is going on under those handles.

:cool1:

8. tdcombs

Ive got the tool i just cant see the clips. The previous owner put a vinal covering over the oem door panels and im thinking that the vinal that he put on is preventing me from seeing the clips. These handles are on there close to the door panels. So i guess now that i know that there are clips back there ill just push harder in on the panel to find the clips.

Thanks