Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72' dump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kgillyk5, Feb 8, 2007.

1. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any experience with this configuration? What would the top speed be?...want to haul stone for a driveway and pull a race car.

Thanks guys.:D

1972 CHEVROLET C60 dump truck, 366, 5spd, 26,000gvw, non CDL, runs good, air lines need work, new carb and battery.

:bow:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not speedy...

I drove 2 seventies vintage GMC C-6500's we had at the junkyard,one was a "box" truck,the other had a flatbed...both had 366 motors,not sure what gears they had,probably 6.17's or something close..they had govenors on them,and 60-65 mph was "flat out" top speed..more like 50-55 uphill though,loaded...

You could coax them up to 70 mph down a hill,but the engines were winding pretty high..but they could carry anything you could pile in the back without a problem..they didn't accelerate very quick though...the flatbed one was easier to drive,only had a 18' bed..the box truck was a 24 footer,was very difficult to turn around in tight places..

The box truck had a 5 speed with a 3 speed auxilary tranny,that I never tried using,all it did was make it crawl slower!.. the other truck had a 5 speed and a 2 speed rear end..I never did get the hang of shifting the axle right..always sounded like gears grinding to death every time I shifted it!..my co-worker could shift it without a whimper though!..:doah: ..I'd say such a truck would be OK for what you want to use it for,for shorter trips,not the hot setup for a cross country jaunt ,IMO..:crazy:

3. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks. That would do for what I need it for. Mainly the dump to put in and maintain the new driveway to my shop...quarry wants like $75 a load delivery fee. :doah:
    I could use my blazer to get the car to the track but it would be less strain on the dump, track is only 2 miles away. Really wish I could afford something in a 7.3L diesel to recover cars and trucks from a distance.:(