Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 frame or 85 frame with 72 body?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grizzlyoffroad, Mar 31, 2006.

1. grizzlyoffroad

grizzlyoffroad 1/2 ton status

I have a 72 Blazer that I am currently building. I have 44" Boggers, Dana 60 front, and Corp 14 rear. All this including the T400 tranny is from a 81 chevy 1 ton with a 10" lift. I also have access to 85 Blazer. My delima is: Should I adapt all the gear to fit the 72 frame and body or do I just use the 85 blazer frame and put the 72 body on it. Either way, I am keeping the 72 body, I love that 1st gen style with fully removable top. What do you guys think? Thanks

2. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

What adapting do you think you would need to do to get the drivetrain into the 72 frame? Everything should for the most part bolt in. Might have to drill a few holes or what not but it would be easier to put everything on the 72 frame rather then swaping the body onto the 85 frame.

3. grizzlyoffroad

grizzlyoffroad 1/2 ton status

You're probably right. I was just thinking about how many more parts there are on the market for the 80's trucks/blazers. Just seems like it would be easier and cheaper to build, but you would still have the great 72 body style.

4. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

Most of the stuff out there that is cheaper is for the later body style. Anything for the chassis and below will be about the same price. Or atleast that is what I have come to notice. Most running gear you can make work. But, body stuff and interior componants are what gets most of us.