Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'72 Front Spring Length

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K30CJ, Jul 5, 2006.

1. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

My rig has 4" front leaf packs from a '72 K10, with a leaf removed. These were used in part because it had a big block at the time. I broke a main leaf this past weekend, so I am looking into replacements. I'm now running a small block, so weight isn't as much of an issue. I was told Wrangler (YJ) springs are about the same length and should be more flexy. What is the normal eye center to eye center measurement for the '72 K10? Somewhere in the 45-46" range? I want to compare to the YJ length before I buy any parts, and I'd prefer not to go by the measurement of my old abused springs. Thanks.

2. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    i thought the 72 & older rigs had front springs in 42" range? not sure tho.

3. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

You're real close. I found a BDS catalog that shows 43" eye center to eye center. By the way, the YJ springs are the same length in case anyone cares - besides me.:D I ordered some BDS YJ leaf packs. They have the full military wrap so in case I break another, we won't have to break out the welder again to finish the weekend.

4. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

Will YJ leafs hold up the heavy front end of a blazer? They are super soft springs. It is a great swap for a samurai, but I don't know about a blazer. Maybe it would work with sway bars. How wide is the YJ leaf?

5. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I thought that they were 44'' front and 52'' rear. I don't know about jeep parts on a full size, sound like trouble.

6. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

This is actually a 1-ton CJ-7 with mostly Chevy parts. I picked up the new springs yesterday, and they will work, but are a bit shorter than my old springs. Looks like I'll gain about an inch of wheelbase, but will need to move my (rear) shackle mount forward on the frame a bit to get the shackle angle correct. As long as this doesn't cause my driveshaft to pull apart at full droop, I'm OK with that. I think there is enough travel in it, but time will tell if I'll have to extend the drive shaft too.:D

Both the Chevy and YJ leaf packs are 2.5" wide.