Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 Front springs broken???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ericpost, May 16, 2004.

1. ericpost

ericpost Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I have a 72 Jimmy with what appears to be a 2" lift or at least the blocks for the back axle measure 2". My problem is it appears the left fron spring is broke. I say "appears" because each leaf is sliding independantly on themself when I bounce the truck up and down. I can even see then moving side to side when turning the wheel back and forth. Being a "car" guy I haven't had alot of experience with front springs (never mind breaking them!). My first question is does this mean the spring needs replacement? My second question is does a 2" block in the rear mean a 2" lift? Last is would 2" lift in the rear mean 2" in the front? I ask the last question because I've noted most front spring lifts are higher than the rear to "level" the trucks.

Thanks for the help
    Eric

Also I'll get pic's out soon! My truck was a life long Phoenix AZ truck with no rust. I have since drove it to NH, done the interior, re-painted it, rebuilt the 350, added disc brakes to the rear, hydraulic clutch, and a ton of other small mods. Some of you might remember me from the wulf den. Lots of health issues made the truck and me sit a bit.... but I'm back and ready to drive my truck!

2. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

hi sounds to me like you have a broken center leaf spring pin what i mean is the bolt that keeps all the leaves held together and also centers the spring on the axle. you could have broken leaves also but you will have to jack up truck and loosen ubolts to know for sure. sounds like a 2" lift if you haven't painted the front springs yet clean them off good. some companies like rancho paint part#'s on the top of main leaf. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

Ive busted a center pind before. I noticed a couple things, One) my steering wheel center would shift around about a 1/4 turn. Also 2) I noticed my leave packs looked to be stacked un evenly ( the second leaf down was about 2" more forward than the other pack.

It was a simple fix, I picked up some replacement center pins from 4WP or you can just use a grade 8 bolt and grind the head of the bolt round and use that.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Check out this thread to find out if you have any lift.

Steve Chin used 2" blocks in the rear to level out his K5 because of how badly the rear springs had sagged. That might be the case with yours.

Everyone else was right on with what else to look for.

If you get measurements to go in the link I posted put them up and I'll post them for you (non-members can't post in the 1st gen forum /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

you forgot the link /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm retarded /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Link

Edited to not screw up the screen size...

7. ericpost

ericpost Registered Member

Grinding grade 8 sounds like FUN! So how about when you spin the steering right or left? My drivers side center leaf (I have 3 leafs) moves from side to side and hits the gaurd, the passenger one doesn't. Which by the way I can't put a bolt thru to top holes of the gaurd due the top leaf being in the way.... Makes me think add a leaf. I'll go out and get a few pictures when the rain stops.