Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 Gas Tank Conversion Kit...Good? or Bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coopdog, Aug 1, 2006.

1. coopdog

coopdog Registered Member

I am trying to eliminate the fumes inside my cab (72 C-10) and came across this gas tank conversion kit at...

http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=7452

Installation seems straight forward...but what do I use for a "filler neck" and where is the best place to run it to...I thought it would be convienant to run it out behind the license plate...but I need to find one of those "flip down licence plate frames"???

Any thoughts/advise ??

Thank you

S/F

Coop

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmm...

I have a friend with an older Ferd truck looking to do the same thing--I wonder if they make them for Fords?..

Anyway,it will take some plumbing to make the filler neck work..I think the filler on the tank points out one side,(kind of hard to tell from the photo),so that would be the easiest ,the fewer bends the better..I'd graft a 73-87 pickup,or even a G series van style filler neck into the rear quarter,using the door and part of the old bed it came from..it would be easier to just have it in the wheel well,but mud and salt will erode the filler neck quick if your in the rust belt or drive on gravel roads..

Come to think of it,a van tank and filler neck MIGHT fit right where this tank goes!..might pay off to visit a junkyard,and bring your tape measure!..I nearly put a van tank in my 72 K5,but I found a stock replacement one only a year old just before I did..I think it would have worked..

Might check out some "utility body" trucks,and see what they have for a filler neck setup..I'd avoid cutting a hole in the bed,chances are good you'll have a full load of something sitting right over the gas cap when you need to fill it up!..--my brother had a ramp truck set up that way..it was a PITA to gas up with a car on board..:doah: :crazy:

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Most of the van tanks are about 2" too wide for the truck frame. K5 tanks are a good fit.