Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 gas tank ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyracing, Sep 17, 2001.

1. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a 72 Blazer and it seems like the gas tank holds about a quart of fuel. I need to put a bigger tank on it. I have a 383 with 10:1's, big cam, 33x12.5x15's, 4 speed, 205, that drinks fuel like a jet. What is the biggest tank I can mount in the stock location without loosing too much of that precious, expensive ground clearance, and, where can I get this tank from?
    Also, if anyone has one (gas tank) out there to part with let me know.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Search this forum, there are some guys that have a 41 gal tank.
    I forget the name of them, keep looking it wasn't to long ago they were talkin about it!
    Someday I too would like to get more range out of a tank of gas. I have to fill up every 200 miles..

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

hey guys,

i did a 31 gal conversion. i got the tank from an 84 blazer. I have been wanting to do a write up, but have been slacking off a bit(lot). I must of spent about 100 for the whole shabang and it took me a good days work.
    I was also considering an aftermarket but after i saw the prices, i took another alternative.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

4. chevyracing

ARQ
    did you use straps or build some brakets for the tank you used.? I could live with 31 gals. That is about 10 more than I have now.

John

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

There is a 37 gallon replacement tank available from Nothwest Metal Products. The same tank is in the J.C. Whitney catalog. There is a thread on here somewhere detailing the installation.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

John,

the straps on the 1st gen tank go from frame rail to frame rail, side to side.
    the straps on the 2nd gen go from front to back. you will have to remove the last crossmember in your frame, and mabe your hitch. I used 2 - 2"x34"x1/4thick" angles, one in front and one in back to strap in the 31gal tank.
    I also have a 2" body lift which helped me raise the tank up flush with the frame. It hangs the same as the original(burt this is a plus for you). If you don't have a body lift your tank will sit about 2" lower than the stock one.

here is a list of the main material that i used;
    1- 31 gal gas tank w/straps and skidplate from 73-86
    2- 2x34x1/4 steel angles
    1- 1-7/8 to 1-3/4 tube reducer, for gas tube.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by arq on 10/01/01 12:35 PM.</FONT></P>

7. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

The 37 (40?) gallon Aerotank mounts to the frame rail via flanges - they send 3 -3/8" bolts per side for mounting. There is no need to modify crossmembers. I am using 2- 1/2" bolts per side with a reinforcing plate (essentially a big washer on the underside), and mounting the tank in pre-existing frame holes. Tank depth is 16" vs. 14" for stock, the 2" represents lost ground clearance, but is still well above the differential. Tank is about $400, and I spent another 100 getting the sloppy paint replaced with LineX...
    JB

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I installed a Northwest Metal Products 37 gal. tank in my Blazer. Can't complain one bit.
    I've got pic's of the install:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/picsofryansblazer.msnw?Page=4>http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/picsofryansblazer.msnw?Page=4</a>

It comes with all the hardware, sending unit, and straps.
    The 2 straps hold the tank horizontally and the straps bolt up to each of the framerails, (The straps line up with some holes that were already drilled).
    The only thing I don't like is there is a gap between the straps and the bottom of the gas tank about 1/4". I could fix it, but I'd have to drop the whole tank again.

9. chevyracing

I will check out some of these leads. This is a great site full of good people. Thanks.

John

10. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I have a REALLY old 40 gallon tank. It looks to be an Aerotank fuel tank. It's tapered up at the back so that it really doesn't affect approach angles a lot. My "hidden hitch" sticks down more than the tank and prevents it from hitting when I go through sudden transisions.

11. chevyracing

Think I may have located a suburban with a bo-he-moth tank. Will a later model Blazer tank work?

12. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

chevyracing,
    take a look at my post above. i got my tank from an 84 blazer, just make sure you get everything. if yoiu plan to go EFI you can grab one from an 87 or above

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>