Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 jimmy bumper ideas or pictures?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mdstmpr, Sep 13, 2002.

1. mdstmpr

mdstmpr Registered Member

I’ am working on building my rear bumper but cannot decide on what to do for the front bumper. I don’t think I want to go with the tube look. I’ am looking for some pictures of some beefy bumpers.

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Here's mine as of right now. The pics are kinda fuzzy cause we gots 130% humidity from the tropical storm and I couldn't keep the camera lense from fogging up /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Both bumpers started out as 7' pieces of 4x6x.375 (yeah 3/8" thick) rectangular tubing. The front is unfinished but has a 3/8" plate for the winch I'm installing. I plan to move the whole thing closer to the grill and taper the front faces to hug the body more . This is as far as I've gotten...

[​IMG]

I cut out triangular sections on the rear to create the taper and put the receiver in the box for max approach angle... have a nice drop hitch /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

[​IMG]

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

mdstmpr,

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

I know it's not a BEEFY bumper, but I'm trying to start a "grassroots" movement to preserve the 1st Gen bumpers on 1st Gen trucks!

If you take a look at my truck, the bumper sits VERY close to the body....there is almost NO overhang. Of course the 38.5" tires help with those angles too! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

When you start adding BIG, HUGE bumpers to your truck...they will stick out further than stock, which means they will also RUB on rocks more than stock. It becomes somewhat self-defeating....you build a big bumper which sticks out really far....then it hits everything, so you need to make it STRONGER so it won't get damaged.....then it hits even MORE stuff, etc.

I drove all over Moab last month and NEVER rubbed my front bumper once. I love the look of the stock bumper, and if you look, you can see I mounted the receiver hitch BEHIND the license plate area, so that I can keep it "stock looking" when it's on the street, by simply removing the D-Ring hitch part.

Anyway, it's another point to consider. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    What did you use to cut it? Did you have any problems with the chrome cracking or flaking.

5. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

Nayyah, my bumper will crush your bumper /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Looks like a good idea. Too bad my front was so twisted... You could backup the stocker with a solid piece of steel and have the best of both.

6. Greg72

Actually, it's "Hillbilly Chrome" currently...(Silver spray paint). It was just an old junker painted bumper that I used to try out the idea. Now that I know it works, I will go buy a Chrome one.

I think a plasma cutter should be able to cut that hole without making a huge mess of the metal. I am hoping that it doesn't turn it "blue" too much around the area where the cut is made.

If that won't work, I could always buy a painted bumper, strip it, cut the hole, and then pay to have it chromed. Can you tell that I'm VERY serious about keeping the stock bumpers??? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I would think that getting it chrome dipped might get expensive but I don't know I've never had anything chrome dipped. It seems like you could maybe score the chrome with an exacto knife or something like that and then cut it with a cut off wheel a little to the inside of the score so that if it did chip it wouldn't go past the score. I like the look of the factory bumbers I just wish there was a good way to add a winch to the front with the factory bumper.

8. Greg72

James,

You are ALMOST on my wavelength....! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

A winch is in my plans. I am going to build a custom receiver hitch mount to work with that bumper setup I have. Basically like the WARN one, but making sure it doesn't hit anything on my grille or bumper, and has a great approach angle and a LOT of gussets for strength.

The plan is to do the same "hidden hitch" on the rear, so that the winch can be used back there too.

Once again, for street driving the hitch is taken off and the truck looks "normal"....maybe even create a mount inside the rear bed area so I can carry it with me but not have it roll around while I'm driving, and not get stolen when I park somewhere.

LOTS of ideas.....just need more time and $$$ !!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I had not thought about that. That is a good Idea. The only one I had looked at was a second gen, the one on www.killeraxles.com, which is a permanent mount, but being able to move it front to rear would be nice.

[​IMG]

10. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

Greg, i am on your WAVELENGTH, except for the rear bumper. I need to get my spare outta the back seat and on a tire carrier of somesort, but i dont wanna get rid of my stock rear bumper.......im thinking either make my own (SCARY thought /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ) that attaches to the tow hitch, so i can remove it if neccessary, or one that is permanently attached to the rear bumper would be ok too, any ideas or has anyone done this????

11. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I haven't tried it but I think that the hitch would be better. Granted you would have to make it beefy (i've seen many cheasy one's break) I think it would be easier than trying to put a swing mount. I guess you could drill a hole on one side of the bumper and get a piece machined to give you a flat mount for your hinge. You probably would also need to support the underside of the bumper to keep it's rigidity.

12. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Greg wish you were closer I'd give you my old bumper, it's sitting in the yard, wishing it had a home

13. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm ready for a rear bumper to get the spare outta the back too...anyone have the BENT & TWISTED one? I like what he has, The wife gave me to green light... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    http://www.bentandtwisted4x4.com/

14. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Greg, I was thinking about doing the same thing! Unfortunately, here in Washington, you have to have a front license plate. I was thinking about a flip up plate.

15. Greg72

Chris,

I was thinking about a "flip-style" too. The problem is that I think whether it's "flip-up" or "flip-down", there are going to be situations where it will get in the way of a towstrap, winch cable, or rocks themselves.

My solution will be to create a license mounting plate welded to a receiver tongue, that I can just slide in place of the current D-Ring when I drive on the street! SIMPLE, and it won't be in the way on the trails. Just pull it out and leave it at camp, or toss it into the toolbox.

Simple is good. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

....but usually MAKING something look simple, is really HARD to accomplish! I've done plenty of those already on my truck. Nobody can really appreciate the time it takes to do custom stuff (in-floor speakers, hidden hitches, etc) so you don't get much of a "WOW Factor" with this kind of thing.

16. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I got my truck with no bumpers, and all stock mounting places were welded / cut / bent. I had Henrik @ GM Truck Center in Burbank make these for me....
    [image]http://goodgoodgood.net/k5/Pages/Image26.html[/image]
    [image]http://goodgoodgood.net/k5/Pages/Image25.html[/image]
    [image]http://goodgoodgood.net/k5/Pages/Image33.html[/image]

You can see more pictures @ Swap Donkey's Pictures

17. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

HEY!!! Where are my pictures?
    I have done this many times and it always works. hmmm. Well, follow the link.

18. bouncytruck

Greg, I was concerned about a strap or cable getting in the way too. I was actually thinking putting the wench in the receiver and having it stick out past the flipped up licence plate. That way you could move the wench in the back if needed.

SwampDonkey,
    I think the code is [​IMG]

19. bouncytruck

hum, I guess I was wrong...

20. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There you go. I don't think you are on the same "wavelength" as Greg lol... but you do have a VERY Nice and Inspirational K5