Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 Jimmy restoration pictures

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SHINTON, Sep 18, 2003.

1. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Figured I would throw a link out here, in the middle of the restoration, here is some pictures.

Sams Webshots

So...we started by cutting out all rust in doors, under the side trim pieces, and rocker panels. Welded in new metal for all including a spot or two in the bed.

Next we removed the front hood, fenders, wheelwells, etc. We installed a 3" body lift and new energy suspension body mounts. Almost every single bolt was about 1/2 rusted thru and sheared when backing out. (After a week of PB blaster!)

We cut out the drivers side rocker box, and fabbed in a new one and replaced it this week, brazed and bolted in. I have painted the wheelwells, and entire underbody with rustoleum. Dad has painted the rims and cowl, under the hood, etc. Reassembly starts this weekend!

The rims will be finished off with chrome center caps and beauty rings, the whole Jimmy will be nice and orange/red again and painting the hard top white.

The interior will be shot with Herculiner in the floor, cab floor and then everything except the bed repainted orange again. We are using the Herculiner on the hardtop both sides as well.

The tires are 33x12.5s, they fit fine without any lift or cutting with sagging springs, 35s would fit now without any issues.

Got questions, comments etc zap me back! The Jimmy will be for sale here in a few weeks, make me an offer! (Here is a chance to buy a freshly restored Jimmy, over 100-150 man hours in restoration!!!!!!)

Sam Hinton

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Great start!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

looks good. Glad you kept it orange I left mine orange to its going to get a new paint job agin this winter and I will paint it orange for the thierd time my wife wants it blue but blue dosent stand out as well. Let me know if you ever make it down this way.
    Earl

4. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I see the roll bar in "Orange" is that stock? Any body know?
    I have one that looks to be the same in mine...did they come with a stock roll bar?
    Your first gen looks way good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

I cannot imagine it being the stock one, tho I have heard about a factory option one. That one is decent tho, Big Org is actually up for sale on ebay and there are some nice finished pics of the project!

Big Org on ebay