Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 K-5 question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72K5BEAST, Dec 29, 2001.

1. 72K5BEAST

72K5BEAST Registered Member

Hey everyone, when i start my truck sometimes the engine starts up and i need to give it gas to keep it idleing until it can idle on its own. Well recently it just dies even though i'm giving it gas and then it'll start again but it'll die sooner than the first. And around the third time it just won't start. If i let it sit it's fine. What's wrong? Thanks for even reading this and all help is greatly appreciated.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your choke is sticking closed to me. I have no choke but don't really need it in SoCal.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I agree, it sounds like choke adjustment if the thing only does it when the engine's cold. If it does it when the engine's hot, you have a problem that needs to be more closely assessed. It is likely a carburetion problem, but it could also be ignition-related. Sorry this is vague, but there isn't enough information to be more exact.

4. Tims72

Tims72 Registered Member

I had the same problem with my 72. Like the others said it was the carb/choke. At first I thought it might be a vacuum leak, because I was having problems with it cutting out when I tried to kick in the fours also. So I fixed the vacuum problem and that did fix the sputtering problem when kicking in the fours, but it didn't fixed the starting problem. So With all of my trouble shooting knowledge I decided to try and prop the choke open when I started it and it worked. I had to give it a little more gas but it would start with no problems. I am also a SoCal person so I just took off the choke. Being from Oklahoma i'm not sure what you want to do. I think it is most likely a choke problem though. I hope this helps you out some.

Tim's72