Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 K-5 U-Joints?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dr1553, Sep 8, 2001.

1. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Hello,

I have a 72 K-5 that I'm building. I want to replace all the u-joints and I was wondering what brand I need to get. I have never worked on u-joints but cant I either re-build them or completely replace them?

Thanks,
    David

2. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I would recommend you replace your u-joints with Spicer (Dana) products. I would get the ones without the grease zerk, as they are stronger. You will need access to a hydraulic press to get the u-joints out and in.
    JB

3. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Hey thanks for sending me that info about the NP205. I just ordered a re-build kit. While I was at the auto parts stores I asked about spicer u-joints. Napa, O'Reilly, nor Auto Zone had them. Any idea who caries them?

Thanks again,
    David

4. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Glad to help. Try gmpartsdorect.com or your dealer.
    JB

PS - Happy to help with your K5, but what do you want to do? A lot of guys here can give good ideas, but you need to know (or at least have an idea) what the plan is. Mucho mas barrato that way....

5. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Did you get all 3 installments? Yur mailbox is full....

6. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

I just got the NP205Part3. I thought it looked a little short, but I havent looked really close yet.

Try sending them to dr1553@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    David

7. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

As it is right now it has...

350 V8
    TH350 Auto Transmission
    NP205
    Dana 44 Front
    GM 12 bolt rear
    Power Stearing (broken pump, box leakes)

Whoever had it before me put 3" blocks in the rear and I dunno about the front....looks like maby an AAL. Its sitting on 33x12.5 Dunlop MT's.

I plan on lifting it enough to run 38-40's. I plan on swaping in a D60 front and GM 14 bolt rear. I want crossover stearing. I dont know what I'm going to do with the engine yet. And or course a roll cage. And some kind of soft top.

I just had the transmission rebuilt with a new torque converter and a shift kit. All new bearings and seals also.

I just want an all around truck. I live by the beach so It'll be seeing alot of sand. Theres also alot of mud here. But I do plan on taking it to the rocks.

Later,
    David

PS I live in Texas, south of Houston on the coast.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You could also ask around for "Perfect Circle". They are made by Spicer.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

9. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

i have the exact same truck as yours. everything u listed is on mine, a '72 jimmy, right down to the leaking steering box. I am also in the middle of a build up, and not sure which way to take it, keep us posted on yours, roostr32

live to wheel, wheel to live

10. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heya,

I just had the transmission re-built and my rebuild kit for the transfer case just came in. I'm going to pick it up right now. I'll let you know how that goes. I'm going to re-build the NP205 myself. I hope I dont kill it in the process.

What are the plans for your truck?

Ya the steering box on mine is bad and leaks and the pumps gone. I plan on doing crossover steering so I guess I'll be replacing the box and pump anyways.

I'll keep the board updated.

Later,
    David

11. Tims72

Tims72 Registered Member

I just got a 72 my self in March. It has a four inch lift I am in the middle of a west pac in the navy right now but, I am using some of my time to get ideas for when I get back. I alreaddy got the parts to do a hydr clutch cange,but I have been having a problem with my u-joints going out real quick. The guy I bought it off of said something about getting the axle turned or getting a cv drive shaft. If you can help it would be appiciated. Oh yeah it is a 350 with a four speed. Not sure of the numbers though.

Tim (Tims72)

12. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to let you guys know that they make a rebuild kit for your steering gear boxes and there is another gasket you have to get from the dealer it is for the top cover of the gear box where the four bolts are... When I bought my rebuild kit it was 55 bucks and the other gasket was 15 dollars... its a lot cheaper than buying a new box, but a new pump wouldn't be bad its around 50 bucks I think.
    72 Chevy Blazer

13. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

You should be able to call Spicer and ask who in your area carries them. Check out Dana's web site. It may take a few calls to get the right person.

Never said I could spell!
    '70 K-20 San Diego, CA