Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72' K5 front axle replacement

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by midnitlove, Mar 19, 2001.

1. midnitlove

midnitlove Registered Member

72\' K5 front axle replacement

I just bought this K5 last month and I'm replacing the broken front axle shafts, plus everything else around it. I have it all apart and I have replaced all the parts and I'm ready to put everything back together. I cannot get the spindles/steering knuckle back onto the axle housing. what kind of magic do I have to pull off in order to get those things back on. For some reason the universal joint prevents me from getting any space to bolt the ball joints on. I know its a snug fit but i could not get them on. I took the joints apart and even tried taking the ball joints off but no good there. I need about 1/8 of an inch more to get them on. I tried everything. I did not take off the brake shield. Those six bolts or so are still bolted on the spindle. My next step would be to take those off.

Thanks,

David

AMIGOS SO. CAL

2. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

Re: 72\' K5 front axle replacement

Remove the six bolts, this will allow you to remove the caliper mount/dust sheild and the spindle. With the spindle off install the steering knuckles with the axle shafts out of the axle. You will have lots of room to get to the ball joint nuts. Then just slide the axle in and put the spindle and every thing else on. I watched as someone spent hours trying to put every thing on with the axles in and final giving up removed the spindle.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: 72\' K5 front axle replacement

Yup, there you go

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD