Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 K5 - Pinion Angle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ziagong, Jun 7, 2000.

1. ziagong

ziagong Registered Member

I bought a 1972 K5 lifted (I am not sure how much), and the rear diff is pointed up at aprox a 45 degree angle (points to t-case). I read that this ok for a CV type, but for mine it has to be straight? How do you change / adjust this? Any help is really appreciated.

-Mike

1972 K5 CST Blazer - 350V8 17x40x15
    Made for Mud!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Mike, if there isn't a CV joint at the transfer case end of your driveshaft, then you want to get things to where both u-joints are aligned in the same plane. I'm surprised that it doesn't vibrate you out of the seat if the joints are that far out of alignment with each other! [​IMG]

Sounds like someone has modified your rear axle. This could have been done 2 ways. One is to just cut, move and reweld the spring mounting pads. The other is to remove the axle tubes, rotate them and then weld them back to the diff housing. Relocating the spring pads isn't too tough but rotating the axle tubes gets pretty involved.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <font color=blue>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</font color=blue>

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You cna buy "shims" that will get you back in the ballpark. They insert between the spring and the axle pad. There was some discussion a day or two ago about how to install them. Look back for it. Good luck!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

4. HarryH3

Sounds like his axle is beyond what a shim can fix. If it's really at a 45 degree angle, then it's probably 30-35 degrees too high. The biggest shim I know of is only 6 degrees and stacking them is not a good idea.

5. ziagong

Thanks guys, Harry it does shake me to death. I think every single bolt on the rig was loose when I first bought it. I am still finding loose bolts. I gotta get this thing road worthy so I can take it out. I've waited 3 years to get a new rig, and now owned it for 5 months, and not been able to even climb a curb with it. I NEED A FIX - bad.

Going through withdrawls!

Do You think it would be easier to get a new CV type drive shaft?

Made for Mud!

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Were in California are you?
    I would take your rig to a local 4x shop and they can tell you for sure witch way you need to adjust your angle and how much you need to adjust it. Also if you drive shaft has been streched to compensate for the lift that too colud be an issue with would be fixed with a longer drive shaft.
    Good luck!
    Oh ya i am in Modesto, Calif....

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

7. HarryH3

If the pinion is lined up straight with the driveshaft, then a driveshaft with a CV joint at the transfer case end should remove all vibration from the shaft.

I agree though that you might want to have a shop take a look at it first and make sure you do the right thing. Don't just throw random dollars at it.

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I agree with the CV drive shaft, if the pinion is already pointed at the t-case, this may be the cheapest/easiest way to go. Also, if you have a big lift on there, you may need the CV shaft to avoid vibration anyway. It would suck to go to the trouble to change it all back, and then have it still vibrate and eat rear drive shafts. Didn't you say that truck had 38s or 44s on it?

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

9. ziagong

The truck has 40's on it right now, but I'm trading down to 35's this weekend. Do you know where I can get a C.V. shaft, and aprox how much?

Burt I am in O.C.

Made for Mud!