Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 k5 tire rack

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by drchan, Mar 13, 2003.

1. drchan

drchan Registered Member

i'm trying to find out what tire rack my 72 would have probably had. When i got my blazer it didn't have a back seat so i don't know if it had one of those rear seat mounts. there is no indication of having a swing away rack. surely there was some kind of rack at one point. any info would be appreciated.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you check behind the rear seat on the driver's side you'll find 4 bolt holes in a square pattern. Those are the factory mount holes for a "standup" spare tire carrier... If you want "stock" that's what you'll need to find, but it won't hold a very big tire either....! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

If your truck didn't come with a rear seat (check the glove box sticker), then the rack was mounted as Greg72 mentioned. If it had a rear seat, it was the same thing, just behind the rear seat.

4. drchan

drchan Registered Member

i'll pull up the carpet and check. i don't have a sticker in the glove box i guess the previous owner removed it when it was painted. that rack would hold a 32'' tire wouldn't it? well i'd have to find a rack 1st assuming i have those 4 holes. thanks

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

cleszkie has a 72 and his hole were on the pass side, we both looked and thats where the the nut were located.

6. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I've seen several of the racks for sale on this board and 67-72chevytrucks.com board. Just keep yer eyes open. Maybe post on the wanted board. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Here are some pics of the interior spare tire mount in my '72. I have an oversized tire (not huge,though) mounted. The bolt goes through a slot that is pretty long, so you should be able to adjust it accordingly. Good Luck!
    Interior spare tire mount

8. drchan

drchan Registered Member

making sure my orientation is correct, that tire is mounted directly behind the back seat, if you were to have a back seat?

9. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Actually, that is right behind the drivers seat, the tire staring the rear seat passenger in the knees. Hope that clarifies it!