Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 K5 vs. 78 IHC Scout

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dylanbob, Feb 25, 2003.

1. dylanbob

dylanbob Registered Member

Hey guys I need some advice. I'm a proud owner of both a 72 K5 and a 78 IHC Scout. I bought them both, over the last two years, for 1500.00 bucks Canadian. Really a good deal on both (although the Scout has a bit more of a "rust issue" to deal with /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. As it stands now, my Blazer is under a tarp and unlikely to ever see water or rain for the rest of its life. I envision it as a longer term project once I am done university. Conversely, I see the Scout as a more capable off road truck that I am not quite as concerned with getting a bump or bruise. Anyway, here's my question (specifically for you guys in the States). What's a more desirable truck, and which one is ultimately harder to get in good shape (and at a good price). 1st gen Blazers and Scouts are rare north of the boarder, but I am wondering what the situation is down south. Given my review of ebay that last couple of years, restored Blazers go for much more than restored Scout. Agree .....Disagree??

2. TED

TED Registered Member

Your results from your review of ebay are correct. At least in CA, a Blazer in good shape is much more valuable than a Scout.

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Blazers are definately more desirable. Of course, If you go to a Scout web site, you'll probably get a different answer. I have seen restored first gen blazers selling for upwords of $25K. Check out the listings on http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/ for both Scout and Blazers. I'm sure that you'll make the right decision...

4. mountainibis

mountainibis Registered Member

Normally, I don't know enough about the topic at hand to merit an answer, but this time I need to speak.

I just sold a '72 Scout, and am trying to learn all I can about K5's before I buy one.

Yes, the Scout is a good off-road vehicle, but the rust and maintenance costs will kill you.

In terms of finding parts, the K5 is the only way to go. Aftermarket parts are crazy expensive for Scouts - if they're even available. Parts for GMs are much cheaper, and you don't have to jump through hoops to get them. It's nice to go to a parts store and know they will have what you need either in stock or at least available.

A really nice Scout can go for $8000. Like the other posts said, a nice K5 can get 3 times that. Plus, there's no good Scout forum that I know of, where you can get good info like you can find here.

And, lastly, around here Scout owners tend to be a little goofy. I may be wrong, but I think it's because of leaky exhaust manifolds.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I like the old scouts and almost bought one insted of my Blazer. I like the size of the scouts alot better than the Blazer...The Blazer is just too big sometimes. The Reason I went with the Blazer is parts. They are easy to find, cheep, and durable.

I think a great vehical would be a scout with a chevy motor, trans, t-case, springs, axles, and maybe even a bowtie on the grill but with all that work why not just get the chevy to start with.

6. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

I have both a 61 scout 80, which is smaller than a scout II, it is the first year they were made; and a 1972 Blazer. The blazer is easier to find parts for and does have a stronger after market support, except when it come to products that can only be used on 67-72 Chevy and GMC trucks. Scout II's have better after market support than the first gen blazers for body related things, bumpers etc. The biggest thing with scouts is getting good parts sources. I know of several if you have any problems getting parts PM me. Scouts can be very valuable as well, but the only way you are going to get more than $10,000 for a solid frame off resto is if you have a midas, SSII, etc. Scout had a lot of packages that are valuable, and several conversions that are valuable. Just my 2 cents. By the time my scout hits the road, there won't be much IH left to except the frame and whats left of the body. Its getting a small block chevy, th350, np205 or 203, full width chevy dana 44 and 12bolt. I figure why let my axles go to waste. I am going to put a 60 and 14FF under the blazer anyway.

7. dylanbob

dylanbob Registered Member

Thanks guys. Ya, parts for Scouts are, and likely will continue to be, a problem, whereas Chev's there is little difficulty. Anyway, it was good to get some feedback, and if it came down to it, and student loans needed to be paid by selling either the Scout or Blazer, it would be the Blazer without a thought. Considering that International produced 35,000 (+ -) Scouts form 1972-1979 (13,000 in 1980) and Chev only made, total, about 68,000 first generation Blazers, its easy to see why, at a sheer production level, the Blazers are more valuable. Anyway, thanks guy.......And, yes, Scout owners are a little wacky (although I don't consider myself to be so.....Maybe give me time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i know first hand how wacky scout owners can be, this is a very true phenomenom! :S whats wierd is i see a scout around occasionally but never see blazers, i know of a late 60's white scout in pretty good shape sitting behind a gas station just about 5 blocks away right now wasting away, just appeared there one day last year or year before. in a region where rust is HORRIBLE and killed all the old chevies there are still IH's around real old like this.. so hmm..

9. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I've had a 72 Blazer going on 6 years now and a buddy had a 79 Scout (in Alberta). Mechanical parts for the Scout really weren't all that bad, but decent body parts and interior were hard for him to find. Scouts have a killer frame, but the bodies are weak in comparison, especially with the top off. Keep a really sharp sharp eye on the rust - he had two where the floor was nearly gone (one a parts truck) and his daily driver/off-roader which started out decent body-wise finally flexed itself in two right behind the front clip. Also pull the headliner on your hardtop (if you have one). The '79 had fibreglass insulation that trapped water and it can rust the metal top out from the inside

You can use a lot of mopar parts on the Scouts, you'll probably have a blast with it.

10. tsm1mt

tsm1mt Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Plus, there's no good Scout forum that I know of, where you can get good info like you can find here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's been a good Scout forum longer than I can remember Colorado K5 being around.. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The Binder Bulletin has been around an awful long time. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Check out the "Vendors List" while you're there.

I have very few difficulties getting parts for my Scouts. Just a matter of knowing where to look.

Besides.. it's a GM column, GM starter, GM alternator, Saginaw power steering pump and box, Holley distributor (or if you go back to the 60s, a Delco "window" disty)..

11. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Let me preface this by saying that I don't know much about the Scout itself, but just looking around, I'd say that Scouts (and any IHC truck for that matter) are much more rare than the Blazer. Rare doesn't necessarily equate with desirable, however. From what I've seen in the newspaper and Auto Trader type magazines, a Blazer will generally sell for about 20%-35% more than a Scout in similar condition (if both are in relatively good shape as drivers and not basket cases).

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Plus, there's no good Scout forum that I know of, where you can get good info like you can find here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh but there is:
    Binder Bulletin

13. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

scout front axles are crap ,no caster etc etc . ...poop imho