Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 k5 windshield

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rep67, Sep 8, 2005.

1. rep67

rep67 Registered Member

Anyone ever do a windshield for a 1st gen?? I got it out in one piece (with many cracks). The rubber looks to be in good condition should I re-use it? I have the new windshield already and the chrome strip came out okay too. I am wondering what to use to reseal and if there are any tricks for install? Thanks guys.

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Depending on how much a new gasket would be I'd get a new one since you already have it out, but that's just me. When I had a glassman replace the windshield on my 89 he used silicone around the outside lip of the window frame then installed the gasket. He then used a special tool to slide the windshield in, but there's a trick you can do. When you have the gasket in place, line the inside of it with a thin rope. Slide the glass and lay it on the gasket, then just pull the rope and work the glass in all the way around. It may help if you have a second pair of hands. I think brushing some soapy water on the inside of the gasket may help too.

3. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You'll definetly want another pair of hands helping out.

Most parts suppliers sell the wire for installing a windshield, its a must have.

If your installing the stainless trim, it needs to be put in the gasket grove BEFORE you install the windshield in the frame.

You might even consider checking on the price of having a professional glass guy do it, it can be a PITA sometimes.
    I had a buddy who's in the business help me, made a huge difference.

4. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

If the rubber on your seal is not very soft I'd get a new one. My seal looked like it was in good shape but it was hard. I cracked the windshield all to hell getting it out. When the guy came to install the new one he refused to use the old seal he said it would crack the new glass if he used it. It went in easy with a new seal.

5. rep67

rep67 Registered Member

thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to give a try

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Why? I paid $165 for glass, gasket and install at my house. You should check around.

7. rep67

rep67 Registered Member

Good info

Thanks for the info I am sooooooo glad I paid for the windshield install. The two guys that came out did it for like $60 and they sweated their asses off. I had the new rubber with the chrome strip and they had to bust their butts to get it to go in. Best money I ever spent.