Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 K5 x2 purchase advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Mar 17, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I just firmed up offer to a seller of 2 '72 K5's, and I need a little advice (only other K5 I owned was '84 stock DD):

Inventory:

1st one straight, no rust, no dent '72, has 2.5" lift, 31" 10.5x15, 350 (runs pretty good), TH350 (seems OK), new seats, Rhino lined tub and undercarriage, roll cage, paint looks good, windows cracked, carb. needs starter fluid to fire up when cold.

2nd one, rust bucket body, good windows, good interior, rebuilt and balanced 350, rebuilt TH350, new drivetrain, new Rancho 9000 shocks, and a set of 33x12.5x16 tires with no wheels.

total price for this "package" is 3K, my questions are as follows:

Does this sound like a decent price?
    Any warnings about this model year?
    and whether or not my plan makes sense, that is to swap the engine, shocks, driveline and windows onto the nicer one (plus swap the TH350 for an SM465 or the like) and then sell the junker and the parts.

Also, seller tells me that the 33's will fit under the 2.5" lift on 16" wheels, anyone no if this is accurate?

Any advice would be appreciated, I am supposed to P/U this weekend.

Thanks.

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

It's hard to tell with out pictures but it sounds like a decent deal. I'm sure that what ever is left over from the "parts" rig you should be able to part out and recoup some of the money. I'd be interested seats, brackets and a rear hatch if it is in good shape.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Welcome! My dad was from Fruita and I have lots of relation in your area......sounds like a good deal if you do the wrenching yourself, looks like you could have one nice blazer to keep and a rough one to sell. Yes, 33's will fit with a 2.5" lift just fine.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'd buy them. Sounds like a good deal. I second Bigyellowjimmy, the 33's will fit fine with the 2.5 lift /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's hard to tell with out pictures but it sounds like a decent deal. I'm sure that what ever is left over from the "parts" rig you should be able to part out and recoup some of the money. I'd be interested seats, brackets and a rear hatch if it is in good shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

The seats in the second one are in pretty great shape (green) all of the interior is OK, rear hatch itself is sound but latch broken. I will hopefully post some pics this weekend, as soon as I take delivery.

Thanks, for the advice, I appreciate it.

Also, I notice everyone that posted has the TH350 tranny, is it going to make that big of a difference to switch to the manual? The main reason I have this in my head is the only other K5 I've owned was an '84 with a crappy 305 in it, the 4 speed was my only saving grace on the trail. Will having the 350/th350 combo have enough power/torque to make the tranny swap unnecessary?

Thanks.

6. bigyellowjimmy

I assume since the rusty one has a "rebuilt and balanced" 350 it should have enough power. But a manual tranny is a preference, you'll have to decide, you can always add it later if you want. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run a 465. It really boils down to what you want and how you like to drive. I love my 465, don't have to wory about it burnin up on me like the slushbox can.
    Once you getum home buy a membership here so you can get into the First Gen Fourm. TONS of great info in there. Plus we are all here to help you become familiar with your First Gens!
    YYYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAABBC! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I definitely will be getting full membership when I get the K5, just this Garage forum has some pretty good info, I can just guess what's in the others, plus I relly want access to some of the member pics. I'm sure my wife will resent this site in no time.
    I only live about 1 1/2 hours from Moab, and there are plenty of sloppy alpine trails closer, so I'm getting more antsy with every sunny day.

I think I probably will switch out to the 465 down the road, it was the only thing positive I had to say about my old (K5 except for the price)

Thanks for all the feedback, hope I have some pics Mon.

9. bigyellowjimmy

Good luck! Hope to see some photos soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck! Hope to see some photos soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of photos!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure that what ever is left over from the "parts" rig you should be able to part out and recoup some of the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your on "CRACK"! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sounds to me he has a DD and a buggy lined up.

12. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Your on "CRACK"! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sounds to me he has a DD and a buggy lined up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't hurt to try! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif