Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 Roll Cage and Shoulder Harness Belt

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bassplayer4x4, Feb 11, 2002.

1. bassplayer4x4

bassplayer4x4 Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone had put a roll cage into a 72 that allowed for shoulder belts in both the front and rear seats (got kids!!), if so did you buy, order it, make it? Where did you get the belts/assemblies? Also is there any measurements that would also allow this roll cage to fit under a soft top?

2. ccchauser70k5

ccchauser70k5 Registered Member

I would also like info on the seatbelt issue. I do have some info on the soft top. I tried to install a fasttrac top on my 70 k5 with a full factory roll cage. It doesn't fit. I am still trying and have emailed STC for some guidence. Still haven't heard anything. I will keep you posted on any more info.

1970 k5 4x4 camping family

3. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

I was looking at building a 6 point cage with provisions for shoulder belts. I thought I would take the measurement where to locate them from my 91, as on that truck they are located on the fiberglass top (for the rear passengers). I thought I would take the assembly from a 91 model and mount them to the upper bar of the cage in the same location. Still in the thinking stage though. Anybody have any thoughts?

For the design of the cage I was going to use the article from the FOUR WHEELER magazine, July 2001 issue page 120. It shows a cage Off Road Unlimited was building. Sorry, I don't have a scanner or I would do that for you.

marc

4. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I plan on doing the same with the lap belts front and rear. I got both seats and belts out of a 97 artro van or some kind of van. After i build the six point cage I will weld some brackets to allow for the belt loop up top. The cool thing about the belts I got is that they fasten to the seat and not the floor (i am using rear buckets) so when i pull the seats out I won't have to deal with seatbelts mounted to the bed. It's much more comfortable to sleep in the bed with no seatbelts in your back.

As for the cage, Im going to build mine to replace the soft top brackets. I think i will use the brackets for the windows but get rid of the two loops in the rear that came with the soft top. i haven't taken any measurements or finalized a design yet though.
    Jeff

5. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I managed to get a 2001 Suburban 3rd row seat on Ebay for ~ $200 for my rear. It has the 3 point belts built into the seat.

I had some brackets fabed using round stock that was the same as the hook / clamp mechanism that the seat uses...making it really easy to remove...just like in the newer trucks.

I didnt go so far as to cut pockets in the bed, so the brackets do stick up from the floor by about 2.5". I'll either build a sub-floor or practice body work and cut pockets to make the bed sleeping bag friendly again.

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 Ochre K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

6. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

my rear seats had the hook/ clamp mechanism too. i didn't want to cut pockets in the bed either, so I cut the hooks/ clamps off the bottom of the seats and welded flat brackets to each leg of the seats. I drilled holes through the brackets and through the floor, bolted them in, and welded nuts to the bottom of the bed. Now all i have to do is take the bolts out from the top when i want to remove the seats. Cutting the pockets would be more difficult but would make seat removal even easier then removing four bolts.
    Jeff

sold my girlfriend and bought a blazer

7. bassplayer4x4

bassplayer4x4 Registered Member

Do you know what year models the suburban and yukon had integrated shoulder belts in the 3rd seat? I have called several salvage yards with no luck so far. does anyone know of an aftermarket seat with integrated shoulder belts, seems like there would be a market for this type of thing. Especially for people that have older Tahoes to be able to add.

8. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I think it started in 2000 or 2001 in both the Tahoe and Burb. I called salvage yards here in So Cal and the few that had them wanted like $1000 for them. I got lucky and found one on Ebay.

I dont know of any aftermarket with integrated belts. The one regret I have is not holding out for a 60/40 split version.

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 Ochre K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

9. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Matt....................lets see some pictures of your rig. I have been thinking about spraying mine with the Ochre color too! I will be buying a digital camera in a week so I will post some pics of mine.

Blazin' in TEXAS!