Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 safety buildup

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 9mpgsux, Mar 3, 2006.

1. 9mpgsux

9mpgsux Newbie

Long-time viewer, first-time poster:
    I've had my 72k5 since just before my 12 yr old son was born. I haven't done anything radical to it- just keep fixing things as I go along!
    It has a tired 350-mixes gas into a fresh oil change and blows a little smoke.
    I added an edelbrock intake, ede carb, k&n, and hookers when the quadrajet float bowl cracked.
    I put on a rancho 4" lift and upped to 33"bfg ats when it needed new rubber.
    put in a bigger, better radiator when the old one leaked faster than I could fill it.
    I had the 350 tranny rebuilt when slivers and chunks showed on the dipstick...:doah:

I haven't gone out and replaced anything if it wasn't broke.... BUT, THAT'S ALL ABOUT TO CHANGE!:wink1:

I am going to be turning this over to my oldest when he turns 16, he gets it for 2 years, then my youngest gets it for 2, then back to ME!

I am interested in making it as safe as possible- I have planned to put in a cage w/ front seat mounts,shoulder belts (not a harness- I don't think a 16 yr old would want to buckle in every little trip...)
    I am planning on getting rid of the body cancer under the doors by sawzall and sliders/rock rails.
    I plan on stripping the interior down and rhino-lining or similar...
    For the rear seats, I am toying with the idea of taking the 3rd row removeable seats from a late model Tahoe/Sub and welding in the floor brackets to a sub bar of the new cage- backseats with integral belts- there when I want - gone when I don't... ANY THOUGHTS?

I would like to put disc brakes on her, but am trying to figure out if it would be better to swap out the whole axle- right now it has a 12 bolt and a 44 with 3.07s, both open, too (YIPES!) ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks, Gary
    PS- I have no plans to put 44s and a blown454 in her- I will replace the 350 with a 383 when it dies- right now the kid doesn't need too much HP!
    It will spend probably upwards of 95% time on the street, so I don't want a Detroit and a coil-over...

2. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

This is just me, but if I were in your shoes I would defintely do disc brakes all around. If it is not going to see much offroad use, I would also put a front sway bar on (perhaps with disconnects, so it isn't an issue when you do want to offroad). Sounds like you have about everything else covered.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If you are looking for better brakes I would run down to Autozone and buy a booster/master setup for a 1972 K30 to swap out your 1/2 ton stuff. The brakes will double in stoping power....mine did.
    A good cage is a good idea too.
    So 4years and two kids...I don't know man...can you part with it...I guess it wouldn't be 'leaving' so you could still watch it:D
    good luck
    Burt

4. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean about the kids wanting it. I've got 1 10y/o and 1 7y/o and they're already fighting about it.

5. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    my son isn't even born yet & i bet $100 that when he's in high school he's gonna be saying, "c'mon dad let me borrow your blazer to take my girl out" & once i hand those keys over, it'll be the last time i see those keys in my hand. i know because that's what i did with my dad:D

build a nice rollcage that ties into the frame and covers the backseat b/c i know if it were me i'd pack all my buddies in the back. i once packed one buddy in the front seat & 8 girls :eek1: in the back seat. & make sure he buckles up. you're worried about safety but don't want to put in harnesses?? i wish my dad would have put harnesses in mine...all i had were those crappy lap belts & no rollcage. :doah: