Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 top on 71 blazer, Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy111, Nov 6, 2005.

1. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

I have a 71 blazer but would like to put a 72 one peace top on it. Is this possible? What needs to be done?

2. gauder

gauder Banned

I thought they were the same.

3. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

should be the same...everything changed in 73

4. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Well first you gotta disconnect everything going to the body, then unbolt all the bolts from the frame to body, then give a lot of people beer to come over and lift body. Reverse order for putting it on other thing.

5. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

There are two tops out there for the 69-72 blazers. Single wall top, which is bolted from the top down, and a Double wall which is bolted from underneath the bed rail on up into the top. A blazer that came with a single wall top will have threaded pieces of steel lodged underneath the bed rail to bolt to.

I think that you can interchange them without much problems. You just need to see what kind of tops they are. and what it would take to bolt them down.

6. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

Yeah thats what I want to do is change to the single wall top. I haven't had problems with my top but would like to have the convenience of taking the top off without removing the panels. Also I like the fact they have lights in them. And I have heard that the double walls can seperate and leak. I suppose you could weld threaded nuts at the bottom.

7. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

You could weld threaded nuts to the bottom, but you might have a hard time alligning the top to the bolt holes. Mine came with a single wall top and it has threaded plates that sit in a channel so that the plates can slide forward and backwards. This way, it has a little bit of adjustability when putting the top on. Remember that when the top is off, the body changes shape slightly unless you have a roll cage in there holding it all together.