Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

72 windshield restoration begins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72k5chicago, Jul 5, 2005.

1. 72k5chicago

72k5chicago Registered Member

the windshield in my 72 k5 is cracked in several places. I am assuming this has happened because most of the inside of the windshield frame has rusted completely away. I have decided to 'back-fill' the affected area with tiger-hair fiberglass filler. My question is this; do I remove the old windsield first, and fill frame after its out, or does anyone think it would be better to leave it in place until the fiberglass filler is in place? I kind of think it would be better to leave it in, form up the filler around the remaining frame, and then remove windshield afterwards. what does anyone think? thanks for the help!

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Is the frame already rusted all the way through?

3. 72k5chicago

the frame is pretty much gone all along the inside top. (near the windshield gasket)

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I would probabily take the windshield out, but cut it in half(horizontaly) and use it as a guild when filing down the fiberglass. I cut a frame off a 73 and just used a sawsall to cut right throught the glass, like a hot knife through butter..........

If its possable, I'd try to weld in some sheet metal rather than using all fiberglass. Make the lip that the gasket goes around metal if possible.

5. 72k5chicago

windshield resto con't.

thanks for the tips! Also, (and this may sound stupid) but I have a 72 cheyenne that I bought for parts awhile back, I am assuming that the windshields are the same for blazers and pick-ups? How about removing the chrome trim that runs on the outside of the windshield gasket any tricks to that?

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Cut the gasket to get it out. You can not re-use an old gasket anyway, they get hard and you would never get the windshield back in.

7. nmaggie99

nmaggie99 Registered Member