Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 12bolt same as 79 12 bolt? fair trade?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moturbopar, Feb 27, 2005.

1. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi all, I have a 79 blazer with the 3.07 gears, I bought a set of axles that were supposed to have 3.73 gears, the 12 bolt is 3.73s but the 10 bolt has richmond 3.90 gears! Anyways I found a front with 3.73 gears and purchased my lockrite for the 12 bolt, unfortunatly I found that the 12 bolt has a gov-lok! So on went me search for an open 373 geared 12 bolt. After looking at 8 different ones and finding ALL of them being gov-loks I just gave up and and deciding to just use the gov-lok I started grinding off the shock mounts on my 3.73 gov-lok. Well today my uncle comes ofer with his truck complaining about fuel economy and asked if I wanted to trade my 3.07 gov-lok rear for his, After checking it, it is a 3.73 open! (cant beleive im excited about an open diff:o )
    So here is my question, the rear axle I have is the 79 3.07 6bolt and his is a 73 3.73 5bolt, is there any problems with me just switching axles from one housing to the other? truck 12 bolt axles are truck 12 bolt axles, right?
    Thanks
    Shawn

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've swapped em

I put my 6 lug rear axle shafts in a 5 lug 2wd truck axle before--I'm not sure if all years are the same spline,dimensions,etc-(probably,but again,I'm uncertain)--but it worked for me--a hollander interchange book at a junkyard will have the info you need, or maybe someone here can tell you more..:crazy:

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Experienced with this one , I have put 4wd axles in the 2wd housing and have had no problems . Just carry a spare anyway please .

The only thing I encountered was the drivers side shock mount rotated too far away with my shackle flip and I run that shock upside down so it lines up with bolt holes , this is on a 73 longbed 1/2 ton 5 lug pickup housing .

Be sure to use your later brakes , the earlier brakes are skinnier , and the backing plates are not as deep . You want the biggest shoes you can fit with these heavy trucks .

So I say go for the open axle , use your shafts , put in the lockright , and wheel it , drive it , do what you want :D

4. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I was hoping for that answer.

What part of Mesa are you in? I live by Power and Brown.
    later
    Shawn

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Broadway and Ellsworth . My Inlaws live near you though on Jensen north of Brown , east of Power . I am in the garage a lot lately , your welcome to stop by and have a beer :D