Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73-75 Blazer doors vs. 76- up doors/ what to look at/ Opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by littlebubba, Sep 1, 2002.

1. littlebubba

littlebubba 1/2 ton status

I am looking at a nice 74 Fullsize Blazer with the full removable top, and was kindda wondering about the problems to look for on the door glass fitting the top. What about leaks? Any other problems I should look for? Are these doors hard to find if I need one? Or should I look at the 76-up body style where the doors interchange with P.U. and Sub.? Which body style would you buy?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

GM used the same doors for everything else on the 73-75's. They just cut them. They also added a small plate at the rear above the door handle to tie it all together and allow a place for a screw to go to retain the door cap. Pre cut doors are unavailable. Just choose the door pannel you want to run and get doors for those years so the door pannel will fit. THe doors changed in 78 and I think 82 but only where the door pannel attaches. All the mounting points for hinges, latches and hardware are the same.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'm saying the same thing Grim is, except that small plate he mentioned is very importanat. I've seen two trucks now (one a '74 where he replaced the doors and 1 a 78 which was converted to full top) where they opted not to use the plate in the "new" (read new and then cut). The doors were all warped and bent. Every time you pull the door handle to open the door it got worse. That plate is listed as a re-inforcemnet, and foor good reason. When you cut the post off, the top rear of the door is very limp. That reinforcement ties the outer/rear/inner pieces together and doubles the steel where the door handle bolts. Just make sure to cut out the old reinforcement and weld it into your new modified door. Other than that, "cutting" your new doors to fit/replace 73-75 doors is pretty simple.

BlazerMan

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Man all these Michiganders. Is the state bird still the misquito? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    I was Born in Detroit so I have license to give you guys a hard time /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Still have relatives in Ann Arbor and Livionia. A bunch of us had enough sense to move south and get awy from them winters and rusty cars. two of my Aunts followed me down.
    When you pass the Ford plant on Ann Arbor trail watch for the union hall accross the street. Wave at my Uncle Fred. He will be sitting at the picnic benches getting drunk before he goes back to work. It will weird him out.
    As far as fit for the top goes. as long as the door is lined up you shouldn't have any issues. The real problems is the seals. At that age they will be shot . Too replace the two door window seals. the fourn corner peices and the two seals accross the top of the windshield....$400! LMC is the only place I have seen that carries them.