Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73-75 Blazer RollCage?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stephenwsmith, Nov 14, 2002.

If I wanted to drive the truck onroad, and maybe a bit of snow, not hard offroad and wanted to put a softtop on the truck, does anyone know of a great manufactured rollcage system (like what the LandRover Defender has) that would cover the truck from the winshield back? Any website, or pictures, or better yet, someone who has done this, and been able to put a soft-top over. I dont have the soft-top or the rollcage, so it would be a clean new install.

stephen

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

1. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Smittybuilt offers a weld together kit. You can get the rear roll bar as one group and the front cage kit as another. It comes pre cut and pre bent. Set you back about 300-350. Other option is a take it to a 4 wheel shop and have one built

2. Thoughts on haviing it built vs the kit?/....

Any ideas on pricing? for what a shop should charge you...

Should I be concerned with Weight vs the 4" lift it has now?

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

With a shop, for a full cage, I would expect no less than 1k, if you are lucky.
    Depends on areas I guess.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I personally don't like the kits. They are universal and take up a lot of otherwise usable space. if you can weld, some shops will bend and tack the cage together for you to finish. I found a place locally that will bend the tube and tack it together for me for around $450. That is using 2" O.D. HREW tube. If I wanted to go DOM tubing the price would be around $650-$700 That is a full 8 point cage. I will be fabricating the foot mounts and the reinforcement plates underneath. I will be stitch welding the foot mounts to the floor and using 3/16" steel plate and 5/8" grade 8 bolts to sandwich the floor between the reinforcement plates and the foot mounts. For me, it's a better deal because I get EXACTLY what I want in a cage for a very decent price. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have the Smittybilt cage kits in my truck, both the bolt in rear and the weld in front kit. I also took another center section from a bolt-in kit and made a family cage for the rear of the truck, is now an 8 pt. cage. I also made some sandwich plates under the floor, this is smart to do with ANY cage! The kit fits very well in my Blazer, don't know about this "wasted space" comment. I also added in a dash bar to strengthen it further. For the money, the Smittybilt kits cannot be beat in my opinion. They are plenty strong for any wheeling I will ever do - which is about everything except high speed desert racing stuff...we sell the bolt-in kits (prepainted, cut, ready to bolt in) for $179.95 and the weld-in kits for $99.95 (these come unpainted and you do have to make a couple of cuts for a custom fit, plus weld the feet on). Problem is that they have to be Truck Shipped from the warehouses, so that usually adds at least $100 to the price...if you can find a local supplier that has the kits, that would probably be your best deal if they don't stick you with the shipping charges.

Anyways, the kits are a great deal in my opinion and I trust them for me and my family! With a couple simple modifications, they can be made even stronger as well!

6. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

I've been contemplating how I'm going to do mine. My first idea was to bend and weld myself, second thought was www.speedwaymotors.com hasfull race cages for speedway racetrucks, don't recall price right now, my final thought is probably get the front bent and weld it up to my Hickey roll bar then take the bar out of my '75 cut the kickers off it and weld it behind the rear seat to the Hickey.

7. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does anyone have a PICTURE of the Smittybilt cage in a 2nd gen K5 (73-75)?

I'm looking for one too, and pictures would help a bunch! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks,

-Ben

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

The SmittyBuilt kit can be seen here in its generic form. It ONLY comes with the front hoop and 2 spreaders.
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=655&occlass=SMIT&cat=TUB

As you can read there, it says you need the main rear bolt in bar to make this work. You will also need the Rear bed bolt in bar to make a complete cage out of.

I happen to be selling my rear main and rear bed bars. You can view pics of what you get with mine here. Includes both bars and underbody backing plates made out of 1/8" and 1/4" steel plate. Grade 8 hardware you will have to get for yourself /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    http://www.rockmongers.com/gallery/for_sale

Here's the link to my original for sale post
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=partsforsale&Number=576449&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.