Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73-75 Bolt In Sliders??? Yes, I've searched...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BizeeB65, Feb 18, 2007.

1. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

So is the general rule for installing sliders into a full convertable with rocker boxes to either...

1) cut out the rockers and weld in 2x4 or 2x6 box tube in place...

or

2) cut out the rocker boxes and build new ones.

:confused:

I have little rust in either the rockers and the rocker panels, and would really like a bolt in solution (even weld in, without hacking off good metal). Does anyone have any ideas?

Basically, I would like to keep the rocks AND trees off my rig (DPI style sliders), and want to keep the 34 year old sheet metal as nice as possible while I still can... The truck is from AZ, and came to me with almost no rust, so hacking off metal that isnt rusted out is not a good solution right now.

Anyway... all ideas welcome. :D

2. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

bump. someone help me out here...

3. chevysmithz71

chevysmithz71 1/2 ton status

Im going to make some out of tube. Go to the venders, they have some real nice bolt or weld on ones.

4. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

I've been in touch with DPI. He has not figured out a mount for 73-75 models... :(

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What is difficult about those years?

6. FWP

FWP CRS

You will have to custom make your own. I've never seen them available. cbbr, the rockerboxes interfere with direct frame mounting.

What I wound up doing was sections of channel, frame mounted, vertically. Tube welded to the channel just below the rocker boxes out towards the rockers. Reinforced the bottom lip of the sheetmetal, and skid plated the bottom of the tubes. Kinda bootie, but they worked :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

FWP - your setup is the only one I've found so far.... did you reinforce the sections of the frame, or add additional crossmember support?

Any pics of your setup that are of the setup itself, and not the whole truck? Or can you email me the originals of the pics, so I can resize?

Thanks for the input, and keep it comin!

8. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

There is a built in box under the passenger and driver in the 73-75 for body support. I havent tackled this yet I was thinking of going through them.

Picture 519.jpg

9. cbbr

Thanks guys. That looks like a pain. Mine are mounted to the frame, but I don't have that interference. I am just posting mine because I used a cross member and made my own mounts. I' thinking that my design would work if the mounts were adjusted and you used 2 cross members for support. This is how I did mine -
    [​IMG]

10. cbbr

The sliders are 2x4 3/16 square tube, capped, angled and mounted to the frame with 2x2 3/16 square tube and grade 8's. I made the cross member that links the sliders together to take some stress off of the frame.

11. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Mine is kinda unconventional but it works. What I started off doing was just cut the existing rocker. Not hard. I just replaced it with 2x4x.250wall and jsut welded it to the body. I remember back in the day Marv had it similar, just mounted to the body, and he would have problems cracking at the body. To prevent that I mounted my cage to the rockers. Tied in to the front of them and the back. I don't have any good pics or the rear bracing, but it just comes off the main hoop straight down, and another bracing it from the bar going straight back to the fame.

[​IMG]

12. FWP

FWP CRS

No, I didn't add any at the frame, although I did have 2 crossmembers for the doubler.

On each side were 4 "brackets" in an L shape out of 2" channel, with 2 g8 bolts on the verticals of the frame, and 1 on the bottom of the frame.

I'll look for some pics and see if I have any

13. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! I am trying to get setup for a trip to tellico this summer, and want to get all this stuff done PRONTO!

14. FWP

FWP CRS

Sorry man, I have no detailed pics. I can send you some of the type of pics like above, or you can call me for more details. PM me.

15. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

please tell me there are more than 2 people running full convertables with sliders ???