Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73-75 Door Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Nov 27, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Well the doors on my 75 are shot. I have the option of using patch panels to fix them up, but that would require the outer skin and the inner piece, plus lots of body work. I was wondering if anyone has replaced 73-75 K5 doors with either 76-91 K5 doors or 73-88 truck doors. I imagine you can just hack off the frames, but is there anything else that needs to get done? Thanks!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Talldog,

Soon I will be selling the doors from my 75' K5. They do not have any rust on them. The only problem is that on the passenger side door, the window is hard to roll up and down. I'm only selling the doors with the window and vent windows though, no handles or lock or nothing. If you're interested, email me at theboss@98rockmail.com and we can discuss. I can take lots of detailed pics and send to you too.
    Boss

[​IMG]

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yes you can use the newer doors but it does require a couple of tricky cuts and some welding with a mig to put a plate in near the lock for the filler trim to bolt too. Other wise they are the same...infact the newer doors are better as they beefed up around the hinges. The older doors are prone to stress cracks around where the hinge bolts on.
    They do list a different part number on the doors around 81. I think it may be just where the holes are for the door pannel...might be more than that so take a good look at your door with the pannel off and make sure the doors you use have the same inner shape or get the door pannels from the doaner truck...or save yourself a lot of trouble and buy Boss's :)

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I've done it, its possible, its one of those, cover it in tape, draw the lines, measure, remeasure, remeasure, cut, freek out, remeasure, oh-ok, type of things, you do have to put the plate in the back to screw the cover at the top rear of the door, but i pop rivited mine in after i cut it out of the original door, the difference in the door starting in the 80's is not only trim attatchment, but the later doors have the bosses for the power accessories to bolt to.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

5. rubiconchevy

rubiconchevy Registered Member

I'm about to install a set of 84 Blazer doors on my 75. So I'll let you know how it goes. Everything so far looks "ok" but that is never the case.

6. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I whole-heartedly appreciate the info guys, thanks! It sounds pretty straight forward and I really like the idea of riveting the filler trim plate, just makes it easier. I saw some really nice truck doors at a wrecking yard yesterday, and they're only $30 each so it got me thinking. The only thing I didn't like is that someone had cut out a circle for some speakers. I figure I'll hold out until I find some that don't have the holes in them. I have a thing against putting speakers in doors. The doors are heavy enough as they are, so they don't need the extra weight in 'em.
    Hey Boss, send me a private on the details on your doors, ie what shape and how much. Why aren't you keeping them?
    Thanks again guys!

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey talldog, I believe AzBlazer mentioned a couple of pair available in Phoenix....ya might look over in the parts section for 'em.

Michael[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I have a 76 that i switched the window frame and cut the roof.I bought a pair of 75 doors but the drivers door was in worse shape then i thought.So i cut a newer one just last week.Only took about 30 minutes just went off original 75 door.had too tack weld a small plate too bolt the door cap on.The only other thing i had too do was the rear window track was bolted in a different spot on the newer door up higher on the frame that i had too cut off.I removed the track from the plder door and drilled a new hole in the newer door and it worked perfect.Also while i had the doors off i replaced the hinge pins.I would recommend doing it.It made it a lot easier too adjust the doors.

9. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Michael,
    I remember that post, but he wasn't selling them, he just said that he had seen them in a yard and if anybody wanted them to go pick them up. I'm a little far from Phoenix.
    BigD,
    I think that's the route I'm going to take, truck doors are everywhere around here, so when I'm ready to put them on, I'll just hack off the frame. Thanks guys for the replies!