Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'73-75 or 76 owners (fiberglas top question)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Oct 4, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

\'73-75 or 76 owners (fiberglas top question)

Anyone out there replaced the rear (rolling) window seal in the topper?

I just got the one I bought from LMC (only $50, GM doesn't sell them anymore) and after looking at it, and my late 70's and early-mid 80's topper's, realized there might be yet another top difference between the years.

The LMC catalog shows a different picture of this seal for the earlier trucks, then another picture post '75 or 76, and although the seal part # is the same, the picture of it is different between the two pics. (although from pulling my original seal, I know the shape is the same, which the LMC catalog doesn't reflect) The only other difference I see (besides their misprint of the gasket shape), is that my toppers don't use the plastic push in retainer shown (and used?) in the earlier trucks canopy.

For those that don't have an LMC catalog, on the '73-'75 or 76 K5 weatherstripping page, LMC shows a plastic push in retainer that is pushed into the fiberglass, on either side of the gasket, down almost at the bottom of either side, where the topper meets the tailgate. This "retainer" is cast into the rubber gasket, so you can't just remove it from the gasket without cutting it off (in my case) and it is the same style used to retain the door panels: plastic plug with "teeth" cast into it, to keep it from pulling back out once installed.

I guess I'm just curious if it was simply something GM discontinued later on, that I'd be fine cutting off. I know though, that if I cut that thing off, then try to fit the gasket to the topper, and for some other reason it doesn't fit my top, (like its a poor copy or something similar) when I try to return it, they *might* hassle me for "modifying" it.

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Re: \'73-75 or 76 owners (fiberglas top question)

I replaced all the seals in my '74 top. The rear window seal was kind of wierd. I had to trim the bottom of the seal on each side by about 3/8" to get it to fit right. Also, the little metal clips that are supposed to hold it in place didn't do so good. I had to use some small screws throught the center of the metal clips and at the bottom corners where the retainers are. If I remember correctly, I drilled holes for the plastic retainers, but they promptly snapped off! So I used #8 machine screws and washers through the center of where the retainers were. It works great now! I hope I didn't confuddle the heck out of you with my ramblings... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. dyeager535

I'm assuming you used an LMC seal?

The little metal clips, that kind of scares me. I know you can bend the teeth out more, but if you pull them from the rubber, you can NOT get them back in, then its screw time. : ( I'd really like to avoid putting holes in there. (thats just me)

Is your top for certain an "early one" or could it be a later vintage? I don't see why LMC would have those little "clips" cast in if A)they don't work anyway, and B)they weren't stock at least a couple of years!

I noticed that GM has rivets in the same channel the gasket sits in (giving me some place to anchor the seal if need be I'm thinking) but I'm thinking those rivets probably secure the fiberglass cover to the inner steel reinforcement.

You said its working great, but I'm curious. If I understand you right, after trimming the gasket ends, you basically put the gasket in the channel, then screwed the gasket to the topper. Right? If so, what is keeping the window galss from contacting the screw heads when its up all the way?

Overly cautious,

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yep, it was a LMC seal. I left the metal clips in, but drilled through the center of them for some small #6 screws. I didn't do it at first, but the top of the seal kept falling out of the track. It got irritating after awhile. I didn't like the idea either, that is why I used a small screw. It's just enough to hold it in place and the holes are small. You might not have to do that. Try it w/out the screws first. The little metal clips were stock, but a buddy of mine is a mechanic for the local GM dealer and he even told me that those clips are be-yotch to install and they don't give you much room for mistakes. They use a special tool to put them in place.

Yes, my top is the original one it came with.

Which rivets are you talking about? The ones at the top corners? If so, DO NOT mess with them. You are correct in that they secure the roof to the sides in the back. I only used screws as the very bottom corners and in the top of the seal. The top corners of the seal stay in place, it was just the center portion that kept falling down.

The top of the window doesn't roll all the way up to the top of the seal channel so the glass making contact with the screw heads isn't an issue.

5. dyeager535

Hmm, makes me a little less nervous about using screws if the window doesn't sit up that high.

I think my top uses a few more rivets than yours sounds like, if I wanted to get clever, I could drill them out, and use those rivets that have threads in them (riv-nuts I think they are, imagine that) and just screw into those. A bit more hassle of course, but then again, no additional in the top, and I wouldn't have removed the stock rivets really.

Have to check on the riv-nuts though, only ones I've dealt with were aluminum, which probably is not the best choice in that location.

Had problems on the original seal on my '83 too, the clips came out of the rubber and it kept falling, but I'm afraid if I need to make these grip better, the only way to do it is to "spread" them, and if they pull from the rubber, I'm probably stuck using screws. Could try butyl rubber too though I guess. (that REALLY sticky crap used to hold windshields in in the 80's and earlier)

Thanks for the feedback!

6. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

dorian...the butyl your referring to,when subjected to alot of heat will get thin and run out..... leaving you with a nasty black mess...a better choice would be the glue we use to install windshields these days...but future
    removal of the seal wouldnt be fun...i use 3m trim adhesive in a spray can alot for that kinda stuff tooo....

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That 3M trim adhesive is awesome stuff! Just don't let it get on anything that you don't want to stick to something else... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. dyeager535

After "installing" my LMC piece, I can see that Butyl wouldn't work very well. Like you said, likely in summer heat/sun, the stuff would soften, and the seal would start to slide.

Not happy with the seal, I'm calling LMC Monday, and telling them how they can fix their product. 3 major flaws, 2 of them are why the dumb thing won't stay up by itself. Luckily had the left over clips from the GM gasket to compare to.

9. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

My rear window seal came from cheyenne pickup parts and had the metal clips they held good for a while then it started falling down. I put mine back in with 3M weatherstripe adhesive. I'd be careful screwing it in if the edge of the glass hits the screw it will shatter. Even if it don't hit under normall driving think when you go off road.

10. dyeager535

Well, more as general info for everyone than anything else, but I talked to LMC today.

Mentioned to customer service that I didn't want a replacement now if the product was the same.

They were going to "research" the problem and compare my complaint with the other gaskets they have on hand, to see if mine was an isolated incident, and whether or not they have another supplier.

I told them I would be *happy* to send them the factory GM clips which are why the LMC gaskets don't stay in place. They seemed genuinely quite concerned and appreciative that I offered to send in a sample, so probably tonight I'll box up the clips that GM used, so that they can hopefully be reproduced so that the gaskets they sell will be better.

Also a problem on mine with the felt covering that is bonded to the rubber peeling off, so they are looking into that as well.

If anyone was planning on buying one of these gaskets, you might hold off until I find out if there are any other suppliers, and if there are going to be corrections made on the piece they are selling.

Remember if your felt was peeling off leadfoot, and whether the bag that the gasket came in said "Thailand" on it like mine?