Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'73-'75 windshield frame on a '76-'91 K5?

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by TruckNutzDude, May 5, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

\'73-\'75 windshield frame on a \'76-\'91 K5?

I finally found a '73 K5 (the body is absolute trash except for the window frame, topper, firewall and parts of the doors) I'm going to hack it and mount the window frame and doors onto my '89 and I plan on re-using the factory hard top. I need some pointers on where to cut things and how to go about welding it back on. Pictures would be extremely helpfull to me. Thanks for anything you have to offer. -Rob-/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Show me how to put a \'73-\'75 windshield frame onto a \'76-\'91 K5

I don't have pics but I would cut one side low and the other high so they are not on the same plane, I would also weld in a piece of 1x1 or rebar etc inside the windshield frame kind of like a pin, that will make the frame much stronger.

3. TruckNutzDude

I was considering putting something inside the frame for strength. I know I'm going to have to measure and re-measure everything many times before I make my final cuts and welds. I've also got to get a 'cage in and add rock sliders to keep the body from folding. Thanks for the idea Steve /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TruckNutzDude

I've been looking all over the windshield frame. Where's the best place to cut so I keep everything strong and avoid leaks??? /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif