Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73-87 2wd to 4wd conversion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BeaterK20, Aug 27, 2003.

1. BeaterK20

BeaterK20 Guest

has anyone ever converted a 2wd truck to a 4x4 WITHOUT swapping frames? are all of the bolt holes there on the 2wd frame to accomidate the 4x4 suspension? any input on this subject is appreciated.

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

No, I'm pretty sure it all different and you have to fab up some spring hangers, shock mounts, etc. It takes alot of fabrication or so I've heard.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why would you want to do that Jeremy? You can just buy my K30 when I swap the axles from it.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Why would you want to do that Jeremy?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree you would be time and money ahead to sell it and buy a 4x4.

85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift, 35"boggers, 16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. BeaterK20

BeaterK20 Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Why would you want to do that Jeremy? You can just buy my K30 when I swap the axles from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

and then not only would i have to swap axles again, i'd have a LWB truck with that hideous bed gap. i was thinking of buying a donor truck, cutting teh proper hangers off of it, and putting them on my SWB frame, since its already apart anyways.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'd be better off in the long run probably getting a donor truck, and taking all the good 2wd truck parts (body I assume?) and putting them on a 4wd frame.

JMO, working on a vehicle with the body off is a heck of a lot easier than one with the body still on it.

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

where are you located if your in FL i might be able to help you out getting some parts

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

He lives in Indiana.

9. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

"thatk30guy" has been trying to sell a short box 4x4 frame for a while. That would be your best bet than rather trying to jimmy up a 2wd frame into a 4x4

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Jeremy if you need a shortbox frame, the guy that sold me the frame for my K10 has another one. Wes's frame is great and all, but it's in Kans-ass, and we're in Illinois/Indiana.

Let me know. He'd only get $100 for it anyway.

11. BeaterK20

BeaterK20 Guest

i think i might have found a K30, with a plow to boot. maybe make myself a little bit of $ this winter, or just sell the plow, and not have to worry about the wear and tear on the truck. Tim, are you going to come help me put a trans in my C10 so that i can ditchit to get the K30? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

A friend of mine has a C30 crew cab that was converted to 4x4. As far as I know they just added the front spring mounts to the original frame and drilled out the hole for the shackles. It works good and most wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And I dont think it was very hard...

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

x

x

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah I'll come I suppose. Sure you want a longbox truck? I love my shortbox, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

As for the engine crossmember and stuff, you can get that from my K10's old frame if you need it.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its alot easieron 73-up than on 63-72 but you will stillneed a 4x4 donor chassis and if you go find one then you would be betteroffleavingit intact and swappingbodyover

also all body mount cushions are talleron 4x4 than on 2wd, so body willhave tobe unbolted anyways plus cab floor tunnel pan modifications and a bunchof other little thingsyoullhave to figure out

its not direct bolt on 100%, there are differences for a reason, youll have to drill the large holes for the rear most front shackle bolts to pass through frame rails also.

and the radiator support mounting frame brackets will have to be swapped to 4x4or ouwont be able to mount front springs. they are riveted to the frame rails, willahve to grind and punchthem and bolton 4x4ones

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

x

x

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I can do it 2 ways:

1. Sell you a whole SWB bare frame for $100 and you pick it up...

2. Or...I can remove all the hangers and brackets from this frame and you can install them to your current 2wd frame. Price will still be $100 for all the hangers and brackets since it will take some manual labor to remove them. Just shipping will be cheaper than you driving all the way down here and loading the whole thing up.

Let me know what you think of that deal. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

x

x

19. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    the K30 frame is THE best you can get from chev
    shorten it to SWB dim's

[/ QUOTE ]

Best thing I've read on here from your mind in a long time. I agree 100% that the K30 frames are the best of all GM truck frames. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

x

x