Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73-87 tail light guards?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerpro79, Feb 28, 2005.

1. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

3. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

no they dont have them... thanks though i found soemthing else on there ive been looking for.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Umm, the tail lights are made out of Lexan, as a btw, and while I'm sure RJ could find a firearm to break them :haha: they are nearly indestructible.

Note that I did NOT say "bulletproof." But I betcha a new set of taillights would cost you less than guards :D

-- A

5. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

New tail lights from jc witney about $8. Way cheeper than guards. I have not yet managed to break them but at that cheep replaced them anyways. I have numerous dents right befeore and abve the lights but no damage to them.

6. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

nice rollcage:D You could probabily make some work from another make. Like a heep or land cruiser.

[​IMG]

7. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Borrow a shopping cart and make your own :grin: :grin: :grin:

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I break one almost every trip, from my experiences they break very easily. A little to easy.

That said, yes, new ones are dirt cheap and i bet would cost you far less to keep replacing them than buy fancy guards.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I broke one too last trip , well I broke an old one while the new ones were safe at home .

I saw some red caps at Autozone to cover the bulbs , so you can remove the covers and still have red lights :grin:

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

4wpw has some that look like those. But for 2 bills I think I'd make my own. :eek1: :eek1:

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I broke 3 taillights this last summer (broke as in completely ripped away from the truck, I'm not counting just the cracked lenses). Two of those times also took out some/all of the bulbs. The biggest problem is that the lens appear to be stronger than the inner casing.......every one that I broke also managed to rip out the mounting bosses for the lens so the entire assembly had to be replaced.

Granted I could get complete units from the junkyard for less than $5, but at the rate I was going that would quickly add up. The other issue is the drive from the end of the trail back to the tow rig, usually at least 5-10 miles, around some areas where the cops are not overly fond of the fourwheelers.

My solution was to switch over to some flush mount oval trailer lights that mount recessed inside the stock taillight opening. It cost me about $16 for a pair of lights, a couple dollars in sheetmetal, and a couple hours of work.

The guards shown in the original post (I'm guessing they were not made for this application since they fit like crap on that K5) probably would not hold up. It looks like they would easily get snagged on trees and rocks and I doubt they are made that sturdy. The ones of similiar design I've seen on newer trucks were definitely made for looks and not real useage, especially since most of them just mounted using a couple of the original sheetmetal screws that hold the taillight in place to begin with.

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ive actually been thinking of doing that exact same thing with trailer LED's, you wouldnt happen to have any pictures of them would you?