Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73-87ChevyTrucks.com - Tried their kick panels?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Low76K5, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Low76K5

Low76K5 Registered Member

Hi,

Has anyone tried the kick panel enclosures from these folks? They say they have 3" mounting depth but looking at the the pic on their website I don't see how. I am mounting Alpine Type R 6.5s with a 2.5" mounting depth.
    I currently have some generic angled pods from ebay but by the time I stack up adapters to get them deep enough it looks like I have them mounted on 1/2 coffee cans. That bargain was a waste. :mad:

Soon I will have pics up of my MDF center console with a down firing Type R 10. The goal was solid bass while topless. It goes in the upholstery shop next week.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In all honesty, sometime it's cheaper just too have a local car stereo shop build kick panal enclosures for your vehicles / speakers. I see you're here in Rathole ****ty, I've delt with Hurricane Audio quite a few times. There's also Moble FX and Sound Pro. I recomend Hurricane Audio.

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Looking forward to the pics!

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Have you considered making your own?

5. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

...thats what i did. i dont think they came out too bad. but i didnt spend as much time as i should have on them. there are speakers in them now. but they arent too hard to make.

IMG_4482.JPG

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

IIRC Chris Lucas (CaptKaos on some boards) runs that site. if the product is good enough Chris will allow it on his site, it must be a good product.

7. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

you shouldn't do kick panels in blazers. they are in a bad spot for good sound quality. just putting them in the door is a better, by doing kick panels you would need to relocate you hood release and ebrake (in most years), and if you have manual windows then you can put anything in your door and not worry. the problem is when you have auto like me when you make panels on your doors cause magnet cant go in your doors at all. ill post pics of fiberglass mold when i get done. but mine are components.

8. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Kick panels are arguably THE best place to locate front speakers, in terms of sound quality. The vast majority of SQ competitors dont mount their front stages there for nothin. ;)

The main arguement I see against kick panels in blazers is if you get alot of mud, snow or water in your floorboards (being an offraod vehicle). Otherwise, they are great for fidelity. Doors are generally the second best choice for SQ depending on speaker layout, tweeter off-axis performance, etc.

9. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

I have kickpanels in my '89. They are from a company called Q Logic and they are a perfect fit. I didn't have to relocate the e-brake or hood release. Everything fit in the stock location and holes were already in the kick panels for these items. They sounds awesome and I would recommend them to anyone.

10. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

If you go with a prefab ABS kickpanel like Q-Logic makes, I highly suggest you use some deadening material (or modeling clay etc) and perhaps even some fiberglass on the inside to stiffen, and deaden them. In their stock form they are too thin, light and flimsy. With any speakers reproducing any decent amount of bass, they will buzz and rattle otherwise.

11. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    I agree^^^

Found a headliner on ebay that holds four speakers and a head unit, keeps them out of mud and water. Honestly a blazer aint great for SQ, and when Im off roading I just want it loud. I'll do alpines or infinity in mine, I get ahelluva discount on each.

Are you really trying for SQ? You really don't have a huge reason to set up a sound stage.

12. hvy chevy

hvy chevy Registered Member

I noticed they don't make them for the older blazer, 1974

Who makes the best one for a 74, any ideas?

13. carolinafan4life63

carolinafan4life63 1/2 ton status

I actually just installed a set of the kickpanels you are referring to about 2 months ago. I put a set of kicker component speakers in them. Unfortunately they do not have a provision for the tweeter so i mounted the tweeter in the center of the speaker grill. the come with velcro to attach them to the factory kick panels , but the velcro would not stay on mine , so I used 3 screws to attach them. they are a pretty good product , but need a little trimming on the bottom side to fit properly. I bought them because of the price , but if i had the money and had to do it again i would get the Q-logic ones. overall they look good and sound good and are worth the price , I am happy with them. I do not have a pic of mine but here is a pic of another members truck that has them installed. hope i have been of some assistance to you. If you would like a pic of mine , I can get you some tommorrow. They also have a provision for the e-brake on the drivers side , provided it is adjusted correctly.

Burb006.jpg

Burb008.jpg

Burb010.jpg

14. carolinafan4life63

carolinafan4life63 1/2 ton status

and Beater K20 , you are correct , Chris Lucas does own that site and I spoke with him on the phone several times and he was very helpful in assisting me with my purchase and any questions i had regarding his product.

15. oakknight

oakknight 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As mentioned above the kick panel is an excellent choice for SQ. And the Q logic product , while expensive , is an excellent product. It angles the drives up and towards the center. Excellent imigaing with them. I put a piece of dynomat on the metal panel then used the foam insert/baffles that crutchfield sells. Love the set up .. and the infinity seperate sound great .

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251314

002A.jpg

16. oakknight

oakknight 1/2 ton status Premium Member

oh and the drivers side clears the e brake with no mods