Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73-91 blazer half-top question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by johnnieg, Sep 24, 2003.

1. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

when the top is off, is it pretty rigid or flimsy? could I just set it on top of some 5 gallon buckets in the backyard or would i need to cut a piece of plywood for the front and bolt it on? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    trust me, that thing wouldnt blow anywhere in a tornado its so heavy, lol. Im taking mine off again today and i have myself and 3 other people helping my just to make things a little easier, but i guess 2 big people could manage it. Dont forget, even thought all the bolts are out it may still be stuck together with the weatherstripping. The way i got mine off was to lay down in the back and push upwards on it with my legs (hey, it works.) Well have fun

CRUSING WITH THE TOP OFF IS LOADS OF FUN! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, just stick it on the ground.. They are pretty sturdy.. Hell my 82 is sittin in the driveway with the rear floor damn near complately rusted away and the top is holdin up the 1/4's! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You might want to put some sort of lubricant on the weatherstripping to protect it from the elements...vasoline, armorall, something. Having to replace that stuff w/ new stuff from LMC or some other place is not cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

It's a heavy mo-fo. I've actually taken it off by myself before. I backed up to a hillside so my tailgate was even with the bank. I pushed up underneath with my shoulders and back to break it loose. Once it was loose, I picked up on it, balanced it with my arms, walked out of my truck, and squatted it to the ground. It stayed there all summer. I have always had help putting it back on though. Just one slip and it could slide of the rails and bust. Have fun cruising! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [​IMG]

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont set it right on the ground... throw down some blocks or 2x4s or something to keep it from getting nasty. blocks would be best, I had my top off 6 months or so, sitting on 2x4s and it got kinda nasty. no big deal, just annoying to have to clean the gunk/grass off. however you set it up, try and support it really well, over time the topper can warp a bit. I know mine didnt fit on so well when I put it back a few months ago, I had to bolt it on with about half the bolts, let it sit for a few weeks and then I could get the rest of em started and all was good.

j

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Don't worry about it. Mine was off for a year once and it only took a little bit of manhandling to get it lined up. It's not that heavy, about 160-180ish, I can install/remove it by myself...