Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'73 Blazer Auto to Manual Trasmission Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TallCowGirl, Aug 3, 2001.

1. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

\'73 Blazer Auto to Manual Trasmission Swap

Hi Folks. I've got a 1973 Blazer and I'm considering an swapping in a manual transmission into my truck. It has the stock TH350 three speed and NP203 transfer case. Will an SM465 four speed manual and NP205 from another Chevy/GMC truck of the same era swap into my Blazer with the same driveshaft length? From what year model trucks can I find the clutch linkage, pedal assembly, etc, etc? I'd like to put in a NV4500 overdrive, but as it'll be a while before I can afford that I'm thinking about doing the stock four speed manual. With 4.56 gears and 35" tires, a manual will keep the RPM down a bit more on the highway. If you can help, please let me know.

2. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    Re: \'73 Blazer Auto to Manual Trasmission Swap

Well welcome to Colorado k5. ill give you the info I know but there are people in her that have done it so they obviously know more. slapping the 465 ontothe engine--no problemo--putting the 203 behind it--good luck finding the adaptor (GM made them but for like 2 years if im not mistaken) you will have to do some driveshaft mods for sure cause the auto is a little longer than the 465. clutch and all that fun stuff you can pick outta any truck as long as it has a 465. they made the mechanical clutch up 87 if im not mistaken and from 87-91 (if they still had 465s) they had hydraulic clutch. you're also gonna have to get a bellhousing and flywheel and clutch. if im not mistake the 465 and auto 350 have the same final drive ratio (the RPMs will be the same ont the freeway) so a 4500 would be better. I have 4.56s and 35"tires and the 465 and it's OK on the freeway but i hardly run it on the freeway.
    if anyone sees something wrong please correct me.

p.s. where in new mexico are you

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The manual will get your RPMs down anyway. Any torque converter's going to slip some, and without a lockup, for example, the TH 350, it's going to be 200-300 RPM.

He said he's using a 205 case.

You're going to have to modify your driveshafts, but that's the least of your worries. I suggest you do it. I'm putting an NV 4500 in mine when the 700R4 goes.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Welcome to CK5... I haven't seen you post before but I guess you must have since it says 7... anyhow nice to see another female, and yes cowgirl! I'm not the only one anymore... they can pick on you now too. LOL .... by the way I can't help you but trust me there's like a ton of folks who can.... be ready to be hooked and addicted to this site! [​IMG] Got any pics of your ride, I'd like to see some? [​IMG]

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

5. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Hey Im doing the same thing that you are. I just got my SM465 and 205 transfercase. I dont know how soon I'll be doing my transfer, but as soon as I do, I'll send you any info that I get. Let me know how yours turns out.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>My truck came with a manual so I dont know the details of the swap, but I've heard its easier to use a hydraulic clutch setup from an 85+ K5 (85-87 pickup) or an S10. Get driveshafts from a K5 that originaly came with a 456/205 combo so you dont have to lengthen or shorten driveshafts. You may need the floor hump from a manual truck too, but I'm not 100% sure on that.</font color=blue>