Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 Blazer Fix-Up Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TallCowGirl, May 27, 2000.

1. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Hi folks...I´ve decided to get a 1973 Blazer and I have some general questions about fixing it up. It all got started when I was thinking about getting a Chevy engine to put in a Scout (long story), and wound up getting a Scout ¨clone¨ vehicle instead. I´m seeking advice on the following:

1. Getting a new motor (Which one...350, 396, 400, etc) auto parts stores sell these, but how good are they?

2. Ignition system...(distributor, HEI , etc) which one should I choose?

3. Axle gear ratio...currently the truck has 35¨ tires and 4.56 gears. I´m planning on replacing the TH350 transmission with a 700r4 overdrive. I´m looking for 15-18 mpg on the highway. Will I have to reduce the gear ratio after swapping the transmission and if so to what?

4. Fibreglass top repair...The top isn´t split, but it´s worn in spots. How can it be repaired?

5. Frame weak spot by steering gear...This has cracked and has been re-welded. How can the frame be reinforced so that this won´t happen in the future?

6. Does GM still sell a factory shop manual for a 73 Blazer and if so how much is it?

If you can help with these questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Diana

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    1. Getting a new motor (Which one...350, 396, 400, etc) auto parts stores sell these, but how good are they?

<font color=blue> I like the 350 my self. The parts are a dime a dozen, the motor has been around for ever and you shouldn't have any problems with it. The 396 is a big block if I'm correct. I doubt you will need that. The 400 is either a small or big block. Depending on what year. (correct me if I"m wrong guys) and also has a history of cooling problems and thing piston walls. Stick with the 350. It won't steer you wrong.</font color=blue>

2. Ignition system...(distributor, HEI , etc) which one should I choose?

<font color=blue>HEI, & Points are both distributors. The HEI is the upgraded and higher performace replacement for the points style distributor. Some applications require a points type of dist. but you would also do better with a HEI dist. </font color=blue>

3. Axle gear ratio...currently the truck has 35¨ tires and 4.56 gears. I´m planning on replacing the TH350 transmission with a 700r4 overdrive. I´m looking for 15-18 mpg on the highway. Will I have to reduce the gear ratio after swapping the transmission and if so to what?

<font color=blue>4.56:1 is correct for 35's, for 33's you would want 4.11:1 or in that range.</font color=blue>

4. Fibreglass top repair...The top isn´t split, but it´s worn in spots. How can it be repaired?

<font color=blue>There may be 2 answers I can think of. Either get some of that fiberglass body filler or check into a boat hull repair shop. I don't know if this helps much, but its worth a try </font color=blue>

5. Frame weak spot by steering gear...This has cracked and has been re-welded. How can the frame be reinforced so that this won´t happen in the future?

<font color=blue>Check into aftermarket steering braces & frame mounts. GM's are known for this and replacement parts are abundent. I'm not sure about Scouts, but its worth a try. Check http://www.dogpile.com </font color=blue>

6. Does GM still sell a factory shop manual for a 73 Blazer and if so how much is it?

<font color=blue>Check (I think) http://www.hayes.com. THat may not be the correct site. I'm sure these guys will correct me if I"m wrong. </font color=blue>

Well its good to have you here. Hope you enjoy this place...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

Corey just about summed it up.Im new to this site and the guys and gals here are great. If they dont know it they'll tell you who does. Welcome to ownership of a K5 i hope you enjoy it as much as I do
    Slodawg

4. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Corey is right on for an ignition upgrade check on a msd unit they are about the same price as finding a complete hei and they run allot better.

5. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I my self am looking into the MSD Offroad Ignition. $212.00 From Summit Racing. If you watch your tach (if ya got one...) the truck under normal conditions shifts below 3500rpm's. Under hard acceleration my truck shifts at 4700 or so. No reason for a "race car, high rpm" ignition or upgrade like most of the others. The 6AL from MSD is reported to be good also.

Best of luck.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

6. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hi Diana first of all let me congratulate you in the desicion of the 73, I just know you'll love it I know cause I love mine, and as far as your questions Corey is right go with the 350, for the frame get a brace that's what I have on mine, I have a Haynes manual so you could get one from I belive I got mine at Auto Zone, anyway welcome to the board and good luck in finding all your parts.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

7. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

Diana

I am sure you will love your blazer and this site.I know I do. If I were you I would get a soft top. welcome to the club and have fun with it.[​IMG]

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

8. 72junker

72junker Registered Member

jc whitney sells a steering box brace, I'm pretty sure

9. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Ypur going to have a hard time getting 15-18 mpg out of a blazer with taller tires.if you want good gas millage go with a rebuilt 305 with a 4bbl carb and hei ignition.my '73 gets 12-14 mpg with 4.10s and 33" swampers.I have a 305 with Hei and 4bbl quad with a 4 speed and 205 transfer.you could probally get it to 15 mpg with 3.73s.my 305 was bored .040 over.The 400 is a small block chevy had a bigblock 402 that was a factory bored(.030) 396 around '69.
    good luck.Brady

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good info from the guys.

A bit more to add - offroaddesign.com has the trick steering brace that triangulates the steering box and front crossmember to eliminate the flex that causes the cracks. You should have the "frame repair" plates welded on first, then add the brace, and probably never deal with it again.

Helm has the correct actual factory manuals you are looking for........the Haynes and Chiltons are OK for tune-ups, etc. but for the real info, get the Helms. AZBLAZER found them on ebay.com for cheap.......

Ignition - yes, MSD is great, but you can get an HEI from a junkyard for about $40 (as I did) and drop it in - GREAT factory ignitions that can be modified (curve kit, adjustable vac advance, ACCEL coil, etc.) cheap.

400 motors - are ALL small blocks. The 396/402 is a big block (had one in my 71 SS Camaro). The 400 is a great motor, have had one for over 6 years now, no cooling issues (but then I have a 4 row radiator), many of the same parts any 350 can run a 400 can run. And of course, you get 50 more cubic inches for torque........love the 400. Depending on your budget, you can get crate motors, good ones (300 HP) for about $2100.......and the options go up from there. They now make a 383HT (paceparts.com) that is the next best thing to a 400 (a stroked 350) that is available for about $2700 with Vortec heads, etc. Of course, you can always go with a 502 big block.........we all wish! LOL

Hope this helps. Good luck..........gonna love your K5.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]