Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 Blazer or a Fake?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by klebmorris, Sep 29, 2002.

1. klebmorris

klebmorris Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone out there could give meaning to my question. I was looking at buying this blazer advertized as a '73 two door with some interior modifications. However, after looking at the exterior, it resembles an 83 or newer with part of the top cut off and "Trail Blazer" lettering placed on the dash and outside. Their are a number of views of this blazer at http://hometown.aol.com/kyoblonski/. Thanks for your responses either on the forum or at sir_wolfgang@hotmail.com

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If it's a late model, he did a killer job with the conversion. I'd say it's probably just a late model front end though on an earlier truck. Fit and finish is too nice. You could always run the VIN # and find out the truth though. Or even go by the location of the VIN!!!

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it is a 73 with a 89-91 front clip. What makes me say this is if you look at the view from above (helicopter view) you can see the the rear florboard is flat clear up to the front seats. Blazers did not have a lowerd rear footwell untill the 78 model. One other thing that threw me off was that it had a gas filler door which didn't come out untill either 79 or 80.
    Oh by the way please fill out you profile it's a courtacy thing and it helps with futer questions. Thanks.

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

That's a really good looking Blazer.

I'm thinking about doing the 88-91 grill swap on my K10.

5. Dirt Squirter

Dirt Squirter Registered Member

I have a '73 K5 sitting in my drive way right now. If you want me to take a pic of something and send it to ya just let me know.

Nate

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hard to say without a VIN...the flat floor says pre 78, the filler door, ten bolt rear, and serpentine belts say later model. The dash is post 81, so is the front end. Even the exhaust is aluminized and looks like factory late model. Power rear glass...I don't think was available in 73. From a modification standpoint it would be easier to convert a late model to a 73 clone than it would be to swap all the late model stuff onto a 73. The front clip is not a bolt on, the newer dash also requires some extra work. The exhuast is what gets me though...why swap on a factory aluminized system?

It also has a NP208 or 241 going by the T-case shifter, newer column with cruise and OD. If it is a 73 the only part that is 73 is the floor and windshield frame. I also see a pic with TBI and centerbolt valve covers...

Get the VIN...my curiosty is piqued!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

At any rate this truck looks first class whichever way it was done. One thing for sure...even if it is a 73 it is so far from "Period correct" as to have lost any collectible value it may have had for it's vintage and relative rarity.

I'd own it in a heartbeat though/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

My gosh Rene, that's called a TRAINED eye!

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I found the VIN # for it CKY183F108799 can somebody run it.. This one has me going to.. Who ever did it did a great job on it.. It says appraised value $21,000.00..

9. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

chevy, 4wd, 4 bolt 350, 1/2 ton, blazer, '73, made in Flint, 8,799th one built

10. tRustyK5

Agreed on the VIN...

I can see the appraisal being so high, somebody sunk a truckload of time and money into that truck!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

11. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My gosh Rene, that's called a TRAINED eye!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I need a life... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

For whatever it's worth my Jimmy has the full floor and a fuel door. The wreck I got the rear half of the body from was a 73, TBI 350, 700R-4/208, and 10 bolts front and rear and a 91 baby quad front clip. It was also in mint shape until it went head to head with something bigger. Never thought I'd see such an oddball combo of K5 parts twice.

Rene

12. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Wow that is a sharp lookin rig, someone spent alot of time on that one. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

that is a 73, it was posted for sale here a few months ago, go search the for sale forums and i bet you will come up with something

14. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

goodlooking rig.
    alot of time and money.

whats the chances somebody switched vin numbers so they wouldnt have to go through emissions or some other reason?

15. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

I wish I could get my 74 to look that nice.

16. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I think I agree with Rene on the ease (or lack thereof) of modification...I swapped late model stuff from an 89 onto a 76; interior, rear gate, drivetrain, wiring harness, front clip, exhaust. What this equates to is a frame-off or damn close to it. Ton of tedious, time-consuming work. And mine wasn't even in the same area code of being that nice! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

17. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with everyone else on saying that this is a very nice rig. I myself have thought of doing the early to late model conversion on my 79 k10 but not to this extent. I was going to put the 327 out of a 2000 chevy truck into mine and change the front end but i dont think i have the patience for a change of this magnatude. The guy who did this mod definetly spent alot of time and money.

18. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Why would someone go to all that trouble and invest that much money in a 73? I really don't see anything left of the 73 other than the floor. The whole interior, body parts, bumpers, engine parts, AC parts, Brake fluid, etc. have been changed.

Why not get a newer blazer, chop the cab and then get a 73-75 blazer top for it? It seems like it would take a lot less time.

It looks fantastic but it seems like you could same a lot of time and frustration.

19. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I guess this truck is on CO. But here in CA you don't have to smog a 73.. That would be one advantage..

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm with Rene. I don't get it. The only thing at all on that truck that says 73 is the floor and the windsheild header. EVERYTHING else says mid to late 80's Even has a 80's Steering colum and cluster. The floor is the killer. I would say it would be less work to modify the floor and windshield header to a 73 that it would be to change the rest of the stuff onto a 73 body.
    I think it was a rust bucket and somebody bought a late 80's body, probably a front end total and fixed the floor to fit on the 73 frame. Infact it even has a late 80's FI engine in it. you can just see the center bolt for the valve cover in the engine shot not to mention it's running a surpentine belt. I think the onlything that's really 73 is the frame and the windsheild header and about 14 inches of the floor. The rest of that truck is about a 89.