Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'73 Blazer with 454 *Pics*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 21, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

\'73 Blazer with 454 *Pics*

Just looking through the local ads today...

"1973 Blazer. 30,000 on rebuilt 454, strong runner, lots of body rust, full time 4x4, RV cam, 33x12.50 M&S Tires, good work rig or project truck. $1000 or best offer."

I called on it, and the guy said the body was rough, but it ran great, and was mechanically sound. It doesnt have a lift or anything.
    I'm gonna go take a look at this in the morning. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: \'73 Blazer with 454

If it runs good, it's worth it alone for the 454 in my opinion.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If it's a strong runner, it's worth it for the cubes alone! Plus, you'll have a rusted out tub you can turn into a buggy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Plus if you take it for the 454 only, then you can sell me the vin & title. Then I can build me another blazer & not worry about smog.

It's probably not that easy. Well it is in the little dream world I live in.

5. mountainexplorer

I just got back from looking at it. Now I'm kinda excited. Motor looks pretty clean (30k miles looks about right), plus it had a Weiand Aluminum Intake, M/T aluminum valve covers, headers, and a Mallory Electric fuel pump. Motor sounded pretty good. According to the info he gave me, it's an Erson cam...didnt sound too radical or anything though. It also had a Holley 650 Double pumper.

It has 4 really good 33x12.50R15 BFG Mud Terrains on the old style Aluminum Mags. It has a TH350, supposedly with a shift kit, and it's just a full-time 203. Body is shot! The hood looked to be the only thing straight and rust free.

He also claimed it had 4.10 gears (thats what he was told). It's a 12 bolt rear and Dana 44 front. Did they put 4.10's in Blazers in '73?

I looked at the original equipment sticker on the inner fenderwell, and it said "positraction rear end".

I offered the guy $900 for it, and he took it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. So, I gave him $100 down, and now I get to magically come up with the $800 balance by Monday. I have two trucks advertised and a long list of parts in the local paper...hopefully something sells by Monday.

6. mountainexplorer

He was also told that the motor was bored .040 over, was a '74 block, and was a 4-bolt main. I won't believe the 4-bolt main part until I pull the pan.

7. mountainexplorer

I have a '73 or '74 Blazer that I parted out a couple years ago still sitting up at my place. I thought that I had a title for that one...If I can find it. The title and VIN#'s dont do me any good just sitting there.

8. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Im also interested in a vin and title for a 73 also ( or would a desiel vin and title work ?) want to put a 454 or 502 in my 84 ( damn C.A.R.B. )

9. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

If it still has the '74 heads, they will probably be the good oval ports 049 or 781 castings. I got a '73 3/4ton for parts a few years ago. It did not have 4 bolt mains at the time (It does now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif), but it did have a steel crank. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. mountainexplorer

I went and got it this morning. I was wrong on the motor...it's described on the sheet of paper I was given as a 1976 454 4-bolt main, bored .040 over with an Erson 292 duration .519 lift cam. With that little info, can anyone tell what it should sound like at idle?
    It sounds like it has a smooth idle to me.

Also, it says 4.11 gears on the paper, but I looked at the factory tag on the front diff. cover, and it says 3.07.

I think the guy that sold him this Blazer 7 years ago was a bit of an exaggerater.

But, I dont care. It was $900 and the motor seems strong, and it drives good.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

With a 292 dur. you would notice a lope at idel.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If the truck is worked on, I would trust a tag.
    Open the diff cover and check.
    Or you can do the rotation test: mark your driveline and the tire with a white line, and rotate the tire one ful turn, and count how many turns the driveline turns and multiply it by 2 if it's an open diff.
    I know that it's not easy to count fraction of revolutions, but it's easy to check if it's 4.1 or 3.07.
    If you need more help on how to do the rotation test, PM me

13. mountainexplorer

Based on driving it, (with 33" tires), and at speeds it shifts at, I would assume 3.07 to be right. But I'll check. The factory sticker on the inner fenderwell also lists the rear as being a "positraction rear differential".

I dont notice any lope at idle, although it seems the idle is set a bit high right now. Still seems too smooth though, except for a slight miss.

14. mountainexplorer

15. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif You lucky SOB! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif J/K Great find. That is better than the 76 3/4ton 2wd w/a 454 that I got last yr for $500.