Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'73 has rockers once again

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjbear, Nov 24, 2001.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

\'73 has rockers once again

I finished cutting out the old rockers. They were a combination of rusted steel, dirt, and roof flashing pop riveted in place. That left me with a 4" gap between the floor and the subfloor thing that the '73-'75s have. I cut some 4x4 square tube to fit. It was a little harder than it sounds because I wanted to keep the subfloor and there are a bunch of angles to deal with. I got the tube in, now I just need to tie it to the floor support and the frame. The outside edge is now 3" inboard of the stock location-about even with where the door seal would go. The hardest part was deciding what to cut out and what to leave. Once I put some doors on I am going to add some nerf bars as well. They will mount right to the 4x4 so I won't give up any clearance. Although I am still toying with leaving the doors off and making it a summer only truck and just using the '80 when I need things like a top or doors.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Re: \'73 has rockers once again

sounds great!! i know what you mean about the angles. kind of a pain in the arse!!

later rob

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Big J. I'm not mounted to the frame at all and you have seen first hand how much abuse mine can take. What I do have is some bumpers on the end of some 2x2 so that if the nerfs get pushed from the side they push on the frame but it's not bolted to the frame

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. bigjbear

Grim, It is just going to bolt to the frame at the end of the tube. It will bolt to the floor support for the front and middle mount. Depending on if I use 2x2 or 4x4 for the center support the center may or may not mount to anything. If I don't mount to something I will have to replace about 6" more of the floor sheetmetal. I did not want to tie to the frame but the floor support is not as solid near the back. My plan is do it like the picture I drew, it is just not as easy on the the truck as it was on paper. Any idea on what to use for a bushing at the frame tie point? Right now I am thinking of using a thick piece of rubber between the mount plate and the rail.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Hey Guy's,

What's up. Sounds like I am missing some real fun back in GA. Well I thought that I would let you guy's know I now have the Blazer running. The TPI swap is complete and it runs great. The motor end of things is dialed in and working great. Now I have to swap the axles from the Robzilla to the Blazer. That for this weekend. Then some floor panel replacement and It should be trail ready. I got my new rear bumber from Kyle at KMA last week and will be putting on next weekend. Here are some pictures of the Robzilla II.

See Ya.

Rob Finelli
    AKA The Robzilla

Here is the link to the pictures:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/therobzi...onversion&amp;.src=ph&amp;.view=t&amp;.last=1
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by therobzilla on 11/26/01 06:33 PM.</FONT></P>

6. bigjbear

Rob, looks good. Is that the TPI from the 'Zilla, or did you get another one? Wish you could have been here for Dixie Run we had a great time ~ 6 full size Chevys on trail 9. You would have had a blast. The wife said "HI", too. Have fun on those AZ trails.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

DUDE! man that looks awsome!
    Man I Agree with BigJ. Wishe you had been her for Dixie. Ken and I ran 11 (gardrail) On friday. We came down the back side of 11 instead of school bus. Both Ken and I shreaded the sides of our trucks LOL. took me half a day of pounding to get the fender out enough to get a tail light back in. I'm going to cut the fenders off the 74 Paul has and make them quick disconnect [​IMG] BigJ and I need to come out and wheel with you and AZ.
    TTYL

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper