Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 Jimmy Diesel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastodon, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Mastodon

Mastodon Newbie

Does anyone know what size Diesels were made in 73? Or if they are decent engines?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

There were no diesel engines in GM trucks until the early 80's. GM had a diesel engine option starting in 1982 with the 6.2. I heard there were a few with the 350 diesel in '80 or '81 but they are junk anyway.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Poor misguided RJ. The 5.7 olds diesel was available in trucks starting in 1978.

Now, i have heard of GM offering diesels in the GMC pickups in the early-mid 70's, but have never been able to find any specifics on the motor offered, or that it really even existed. I have never seen one, but there are people out there who swear it did get built and it is just very rare. The rumors i all heard revolve arround it being a small detroit under the hood. If you found one for sale, could you either snap some pics or link us to it?

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not that it's the final authority, but the Standard Catalog of 4x4's doesn't list a diesel in a 4x4 until 1982 (6.2)

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

You sir, are correct. The 5.7 Olds diesel was not ever offered in the K-series trucks to my knowledge. But it was put in C-10's, starting in 1978.

CLICK ME!

6. nocoasthardcore

nocoasthardcore Registered Member Premium Member

the 5.7 was an olds engine. it made its way into all the big cars, the caddy's and old's delta's and what not. they are loud and tend to smoke. but some of them have lasted several hundred thousand miles and my grandmothers averaged 28 miles to the gallon. not bad for an 81 delta.

gmc offered detroits and thier own diesels in the sixties and seventies in the big trucks. but gm's engine was pretty lousy from what i have read.

but, thank rudolph for that fuel oil and black smoke.

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

there was a small detroit diesel available in the P vans in the early 70's (model # escapes me), and some people swear the trucks came this way too. They didn't.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just a good brain teaser to try out

this is no joke !!! my friend has a 1963 c10 2x4 shortbed stepside. his grandfather was the origanal owner and buyer of the truck form day 1. and it was all custom orderd for the farm he owned and he used it as a truck and tractor. i was looking at it a few years ago and found the motor data plate on the drivers kick panel and couldnt belive what i saw. engine deisel hp 80-90 /trq 110-120 around those # ., cant remember exactly.it was a 6cyl deisel engine. i wouldnt beleave it if i hadent seenit with my own 2 eyes. altho it now sports a 350 hp motor and still the 3 on the tree with frool shifter added . could get pics if wanted :cool1:

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Try and get pics of that, you have peaked my interest.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I saw one at a truck show!

I saw a 1963 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 at a truck show that had an original detroit diesel in it,I think it was a 3 cylinder two stroke one like the heavy equipment used--the guy was telling everyone it WAS the original motor,not a transplant,as he knew the original owner who lived next door to him---he said the truck is extremely rare,only about 500 or so were produced with the diesel option...I'm not sure but I think it had a 5 speed tranny(at least the shift knob had 5 speeds listed)but it may have been the SM465 tranny...my 1946-1972 Chevy truck parts book from a dealerships parts counter has listings in it for the detroit diesel parts,shows them for 2 and 4wd 60's trucks,10-30 series....:crazy:

Another wierdo diesel I saw was in a GMC dump truck,vintage 1965 or so,about a 2-1/2 ton six wheeler,it had a "TORO-FlOW" diesel in it!!--never saw one like it,or another on since!--it sounded like a two stroke,like the ones used in the cab over garbage trucks--maybe its just another type of a detroit???:confused: .

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Check this website out

http://www.6066gmctrucks.org/Diesel.htm

the toro-flow was just a GMC V6 converted to run on diesel. Lots of other neat info there too.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Stuff it up your butt. :surepal: I knew they were using the olds diesel earlier but thought it was only a year of two before the venerable 6.2. Lately you have done everything possible to be the biggest jackass you can, you remind me of Tim and it's ticking me off.....back on subject.

1)There were no Detroits in the early to mid 70's and even if there were a couple I would bet all my money that there is a 99.9% chance none of us will ever see or much less purchase one.

2) The olds diesel, it's a turd. I wouldn't buy a GM vehicle with that engine. I doubt any of us will see one of those either, a better chance than the above, but I doubt it.

3) Joez, you want to help someone, tell them that if they want a diesel blazer they should look '82 and up. You of all people should be on top of that, and not give out fairy tales.

13. diesel4me

velly interestink

Thanks for the link to that site--very informative site!:D

I thought that "TORO-FLOW" motor looked familiar!!--but I cant understand why it sounded like a two stroke??--maybe the short stroke?

And I want one of those "TWIN-SIXES" motors!!:cool1: :cool1:

14. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Which is exactly why i said i heard the RUMOR. I said there i have never been able to find any information on what it is, or that it even existed. I also said that if he found one for sale, i would like to either see a picture, or a link because i have never seen one. It could just be a convert, but the RUMOR still floats arround that there were a handfull of light duty GMC's built with diesels in the early 70's.

Agreed, it was a total turd, but that doenst change the fact that they started putting them in trucks in 1978.

What fairy tale? You said that GM didnt put diesels in trucks until the 80's, and i corrected you. Also, I, like many people, have heard the rumor that GM did put diesels in GMC's trucks in the early 70's, but in very, very, VERY small numbers. This person is asking about a '73 Diesel GMC Jimmy. Either he heard the same rumor and is wondering about details, or he found one of these mystery machines for sale, in which case i would be ecstatic'd to see pictures or get a link and see if its factory or a swap.

I think you need to realize not everything is a personal attack, like in the other Dodge thread. You cant hear sarcasm through typing, so i used an emoticon, and you still took it as an attack. Im not out to get you, like you seem to think.

15. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

you must realize that even if an option wasnt available from the FACTORY

that many dealerships had DEALER opptions available and some one off and very limited vehicles where put together by dealerships and that very well can include wierd diesel opptions becaus i know the local gmc dealer used to sell utiliy beds as a dealer option

16. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

more info

the 63 4x4 was probale a clark 5 speed medium truck tranny and a divorced tcase.

and the pics for the 63 2x4 shortbed factory tag for desial will be posted soon , have to got over to friends house and get them. talked to him lastnight and he can remeber riding in the truck with his grandpa and that desiel was noise. it finaly whent after 10-15 years of service and sat in the barn for years till he got his hands on it and put a sbc in to itand had lots of fun.:cool1:

17. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My dad put over 300,000 miles on 2 Olds diesel wagons. Zero problems with them, good mileage and decent pickup. I drove one of them a few times and My ex wife's grampa had one in a 1/2 ton Chevy. It was a farm truck and got used hard, after 200,000 miles it died and I put a 455 Olds in its place. I think it was a good early effort of GM's part.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A now deceased acquaintence used to have one. Monster of an engine. Waist high rocker covers sitting on it's pan on a pallet. From what he knew of them, they mostly were used in Fire Truck chassis.

19. diesel4me

I like BIIIIIIIGGGGG blocks!

Those motors are very cool looking!--next to an Allison aircraft V12,I think the "twin six" would be the neatest motor for a hot rod! At one local junkyard,they had a 1941 Seagrave fire engine with a V12 in it,not sure of the make,might have been a Seagrave engine,it was the coolest looking thing!--but we tried for months to get it running,with 2 plugs per cylinder,two distributors,four sets of points,and 24 wires to contend with,we almost got it to fire up--we gave up when it backfired so bad the oil filler cap flew by our heads like a bullet,never to be seen again....

Another GM "big block" I like was the ones in our GMC school busses back in the mid 70's,the 637cid V8!--yes,six hundred thirty seven cubic inch!--they were huge too,looked like a 454 on steroids!,but the Allison does too,and its even bigger!..( ONE THOUSAND,SEVEN HUNDRED and TEN CID!!:grin: )

As for the 1963 truck I saw,I suspect it was a transplant,not a factory installation,despite the owners insistance that it was original,perhaps it was a dealer installed option,like the Yenco camaro's they had--I looked thru my parts manual last night,and the only chassis that used the 3 cylinder detroits were the 62-66 D80 series trucks,and the 67-69 "P" 20,30,and "T" 40 series step vans(bread trucks)--so I tend to think someone took an old bread truck drivetrain and swapped it in--might have been the dealer,who knows?.
    The bread trucks came only with the SM465 with the 3 cylinder motor,but other larger GM trucks with detroits (4 and 6 cylinder) had a clark 5 speed optional,as well as allison automatics and 10 and 13 speed fuller tranny's,and swapping one of them in might have been a possibility too--I can see if you had a bread truck to cannibalize,it would not be too hard to make it all work,if the engine bolts into a "P" series truck that also used gas engines,I bet the frame mounts for the motor would bolt in or be easy to adapt to a "C" or "K" series truck,and if you had the tag off the kick panel that had the engine specs you could make it look very factory without too much trouble....:thinking:

After seeing a Perkins diesel for sale at a CT swap meet for 250 bucks out of an Oliver tractor,I was tempted to buy it just for the heck of it(this was when my C10 had blown the 250 six up)--I asked the guy if he thought it would be a nightmare to put in a truck--He said come look at mine!--he opened the hood of his 79 ford F250 2wd,and there was an identical Perkins diesel from another tractor,sitting proudly where the 300 straight 6 sat!(the Perkins was a straight 6 also--at first I thought it was the ford motor at first glance!)---he said he installed it 12 years ago,and bought the other motor just in case he needed parts or the whole engine for a spare-...

-but after 100,000 miles of towing his flea market and swap meet junk around,he decided it was time to retire the truck,and the motor ran just as sweet as it did when he put it in 12 years ago,and didnt see the need for the "spare" one any more---he said he would have taken 900 for the truck and the spare motor!...he aslo said it got over 20mpg,even when towing--the only thing that he had to have custom made was a bellhousing adapter,but he later found out some farm equipment used a bell that would accept a SM465 type 4 speed....cant beat them diesels!!:laugh: