Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 K5 Blazer Upgrade

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rsb3, Jun 9, 2003.

1. rsb3

rsb3 Registered Member

I have a 73 K5 Blazer 1/2ton 350 4 speed manual
    also have a K30 pickup, seriously thinking about using almost all parts from the 86 K30 pickup to upgrade my K5.
    The K30 has a 454, auto 400 turbo, 1 ton running gear (dana 60 and 14 corporate), doors with power windows, etc.
    Is it worth it for the conversion to upgrade the ol' K5?

2. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Depends on if you mind sacrificing the k30 pickup. Personally I would!!!

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yes and do a search on this stuff. I not real sure but I can vaguely remember some crazy-talk about swapping in 1 ton axles... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. rsb3

rsb3 Registered Member

what crazy talk about 1-ton axles?

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

he's fawkin with you, it's only been covered about a million times thats all.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rsb3

rsb3 Registered Member

Well from what I have found out, the dana 60 will be a direct swap, the rear 14 bolt will need the perches relocated, the drivelines will most likely need to be shortened, at least in the rear, the doors will need to be shaved and capped, the 454 should swap right in, to replace the 350, the tranny still can go either way, manual or auto?
    any comments or suggestions are much appreciated! anything I am missing?

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

If the k30 you have is a SWB I'd swap the blazer body onto the k30 frame and go through any additional trouble involved as the frame becomes the only week link when swappign all teh other heavy duty stuff over, but I'd do it!

8. rsb3

rsb3 Registered Member

The K30 is a standard cab with a long bed.
    Are the frames different in steel gauge? not too familiar with the frames.

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

All K30's are LWB and yes the 1 ton frames are thicker than the 3/4 and 1/2 ton frames, I do not know the exact numbers though. Other things to consider with the BBC swap: it requires different accesory brackets(ie alternator, PS pump, A/C etc), you most likely will have to upgrade to a 4 core rad, and I have heard of people having to make a small dimple in the firewall to clear the distributor...

10. rsb3

rsb3 Registered Member

I was planning on using the whole engine setup (radiator, oil cooler, a/c, etc) If I swapped the Blazer body onto the K30 frame, Since the frame on the K30 is a little bit longer at the back, is it as easy as chopping some inches from the back? I would probably have to move the rear axle forward (relocate springs) and reduce the driveshaft length