Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 k5 Line-X inside out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dabears73k5, Sep 15, 2006.

1. dabears73k5

dabears73k5 Registered Member

Damn i just stopped by local shop to inquire on price of full line-x covering of my 73 k5 if i had all prep work done and a completely stripped tub off the fram and the fenders doors tail gate and hood disconnected. the quote was around $6.000.00. :angry1: My jaw dropped to the floor. does this seem completely outrages or am i just naive.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

In Cali thats probably a deal...

3. dabears73k5

looks like it will prob be rattle can again, i was expecting about 3000-3500. can't waste money on a [aint job that will scratch after one run

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Get a gallon of jerkyaliner...

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I had mine done Dec. 2004, inside and out, topper included, $2600 with a color. He gave me a couple hundred off though because he didn't match my color sample I save him. It's a little darker than I'd have really liked it, but oh that's not gonna change now. BTW...it's GM dark blue.
    Anyway, I wonder if the New-Line-X has upp'd the price. THey have a new line-x out that has a kevlar component to it, and they spray an anti-fade coat. Colors, especially light colors, fade quite easily with line-x (or some other similiar products I've seen as well).

[​IMG]

I delivered the body to him completly bare. He said it would have been alot more if he had to rmeove trim/seats...etc

But, 6k is really high....Call another Line-X place in a different city nearby. Some people say I paid too much, other say it was a deal. I think it was just about right.

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

that price is from someone on crack. shop around, hopefully you will get a better price.

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I think I would buy a 220V 100 gallon compressor, 5 gallons of durabak, spray gun, hose, beer, hookers, and then do it myself and save about $4500...depending on the quality of hooker.

8. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

Ill even fly out to help:haha:

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

the whole idea to me is nasty anyways, my opinion ...

I think it looks like crap, feels like crap, fads like crap, and cost the wallet to much. if you were in the north east or some place in the rust belt and planned to only lightly wheel , I see the big anvantage...otherwise a waste of money.

for that price "6000" you could buy a 60, a doubler, drive shafts and bumpers as well as rock sliders and still have money to pay a shop to straiten your sheet metal and put a cheap paint job on it!

I have seen a few trucks with it done, it simply looks like crap to me, I personally thing the 73 blazer above is great because of the funtion and his area, but I hate how they collect and tram dust because of how porus "sp?" the material is.

10. dabears73k5

After doing further research and debating the idea, I think I'm going to abondon this idea, and just cut out my rocker panel weld in some square tubing, cut out the fenders around wheel well to get rid of the little amount of rust there is and just get a cheapo spray or maybe rattle can it again. I think I am goign to herculin the interior to. $100.00 for herculine or 750.00 for linex. Thst is an easy decision to make. By the way GO BEARS!!!!!!

11. supersize75k5

[​IMG]

herculiner and 2x4 rockers

very easily done, also not that while it will cost 89.00 for the herc, right now 70.00 with 20.00 rebate, you can every once and while recoate it with just the quart. for 30.00

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

got my interior herculined so far for almost 2 years, i love it. needs a little touch-up, but i jus use the duplacolor spay on crap for that.

13. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

He probably quoted you that price because doing stuff like that is a PITA. Its also not very cost effective for them to do it.

73K5 got a decent deal on his truck but it depends on the shop. I dont know much about the new anti-fade coat but you can make any spray-on liner "anti-fade", all you need to do is spray on some clear coat.

14. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It didn't feel like a deal at the time :ooo: But now it does. It was completely bare, and off the frame though, he had no masking to do. Even on the frame bare he said it would have been 3+.
    It was a good shop, I know a couple of friends that recommended it, he was a bit slow at the time as well.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  15. suspectdon

suspectdon 1/2 ton status

that price sounds like hte guy might have said that so he wouldn't have to work, i've heard of some places like that body shops that up their prices for walk in's.....due to lazy'ness

richard

16. supersize75k5

i do estimates for my friends body shop all the time, policy is if a custermer is an ass, or difficult as long as they were not refered by a couple mechanic shop we do business with they get a high quote. also since the shop does 90 percent collisiion, any classic's or complete tear downs are a minimum 10 grand and told it wont be done timly up front.

half the costomers with classics still leave the keys and just get updates and they are happy:wink1:

I like to say it this way with his customers and mine

QUALITY
    CHEAP
    QUICK

Choose two

if its quick quality.....$$$$$$$$$$

cheap and quick....then the job is often turned down or refered out since they wont put their name on it.

17. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

the line x in palmdale quoted me like 2000 if you wanna make the trek up here