Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 k5 w/ 1" lift & 35" BFG's -- will they fit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyTungsten, Oct 28, 2005.

1. BillyTungsten

BillyTungsten Registered Member

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in the forums, but I cannot find it... I have a '73 K5 with a 350 that currently runs 31 inch BFGs with no lift. If I install ORD's 1" zero-rate lift, can I run 35's without rubbing? If so, are the stock axles and running gear up to the task? I do not beat on the truck very hard, but I do not want to have to be careful on the throttle ;-)

A side note: My 'little' brother just bought a '69 K5 that has seen some pretty serious engine / driveline work. Somewhere north of 400 horses. We will probably be meeting next summer for a little brotherly competition, and I'm sure it will include a heavy chain between both vehicles... ;-0

My K5 has a fairly stock engine, the only mods are HEI and headers (no h-pipe). What advice do you guys have for gaining 50 - 100 horses? I have all winter to tinker and some $ to spend... Please throw down some advice so I can throw down the gauntlet next summer!

Thanks!

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You will rub when turning or going into a driveway or parkinglot.

3. BillyTungsten

What if I used some wheel spacers? offset the tires outboard 1 or 2 inches?

The goal would be to not rub at all... while raising the body as little as possible... perhaps a 2" lift?

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

What if I used some wheel spacers? offset the tires outboard 1 or 2 inches?

that would make it worse.

I would run some narrow rims with deep back spacing to tuck the tires in more it should help clear the bigger meats some what. I would also cut the lower portion of the fender and run the 1" 0 rates and keep the sway bar connected.

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

You will probobly need to trim quite a bit to eliminate all rubbing at full stuff. A set of 33's would probobly work out better if you don't want to trim.

6. BillyTungsten

I just love the idea of the big meats under there... especially when I'm in the woods. Maybe 33's would be best... I do not want to trim if I can help it, the body is rustfree & straight - I'd like to keep it unmolested.
    Maybe I just want too much?

Nah. That can't be it.

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Just do a 2" suspension lift or so. I have a 2 1/2" on mine and love it, but I plan on going up a couple more inches next year sometime. :D

Rick

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Let me put it this way; I had a 4" lift, w/ 35" BFG M/Ts, on the stock 15x8 rims and had to trim a little to drive to prevent damaging rubbing. Once I unhooked the sway-bar I had to trim more. I added a 1 inch "zero rate" in the front and 1.5" block and I can still get crossed up enough to to get the inside of the back tire to rub the inboard side of the wheel tub. Up front I can make the the tire contact the back of the inner fender. No damage is caused by either.