Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 or 70-72 blazer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gm500hprat, Feb 28, 2005.

1. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

I have a 76 gmc pickup. It was half ton it's now 3/4 ton. It has a 500hp 496. 6" springs corp 14 bolt, dana 44, th 400, np 205. Its just waisting away in my dads back yard. two weeks ago I blew the rearend in my 99 burb. I work at currie enterprises so i dint see parts being a problem. ANy ways to make a long story short. I was ticked that i had this truck with all these awesome components that i couldnt use because It doesnt have any smog equip. Its green stickered. So now I decided that I need a backup vehicle. I've been planning on building up my rig into a sand buggy like john currie is doing with his tj. Any ways now the question is will diffs from a 76 gmc pickup bolt up into a 70-72 blazer, or should I get a 73 blazer? Any direction would be greatly appreciated. i personally like the looks of the 70-72 blazers but I got a lot of crap that I know will move right over to the 73. A suggestion my buddy gave me was take his 73 pickup and move my stuff over or just move his vin over then register it in my name and scrap my old truck. But I plan on hacking whatever I do beavuse I want to hold at least 5 people. So I would butcher the cab on that truck. And then not be able to get it insured by any one. Any body seen zach steeles blazer. It was in petersens last year white with blue and white checkers, thats basically what im wanting to do. Any suggestions ?

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

all the components are the same. The only difference is the front springs and drive shafts, wheel base is a little different. I like the 1st gens, but the 73-75 are nice too. I'd go with whatever you could find that you like:D

just my .02

Steve

3. gm500hprat

tks steve

thanks steve. I have the option of a 73 pickup where i can either move the vin over to mine and call it a day. or move all my stuff over to it. I also know of someone selling a 71 k5 body and fram for cheap or a 73 k5 in running condition for 2k. Moving tthe vin on the 73 pickup would be the easiest and cheapest route but Im not sure If their would be anyproblems moving a vin from one vehicle to another.

4. steve_kibbe

If you wanna haul 5 ppl, you better go with the 71 k5. Sounds like you have all the ingrediants to make a nice 1st gen:thumb:

Steve

5. gm500hprat

thanks steve

Do you happen to know what is different about the front leafs on the 1st gens. I think the main thing I want to know is the center pin to center pin length, wether or not i can move my front and rear axles over to a 71 from my 76 and bolt them right in. If not then I will probably look for a 73 blazer.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Front springs are shorter on the FirstGen K5, some folks move the front shakels forward and use 73+ springs...

7. steve_kibbe

I thought they were shorter, how much?

8. gm500hprat

tks burt

thanks burt, thats good to know. Will the axles bolt in directly , are the centering pins on the leafs themselves about the same width apart on the axles

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya as far as I know the center pins are the same.

I can't remember the length..I think they are 2" shorter in length but I am guessing. Try a search in the first gen fourm. If Greg72 or RyanB sees this post they can probly answer with details and all.:D

10. gm500hprat

tks again burt

I appreciate it. I live in California. I found a guy that has a 71 frame and body that wants $1500 for it. Im not sure if thats a good deal or not. I might go up this weekend to victorville to see what shape its in. If I find out that my drivetrain will bolt right in and its in good shape I might buy it. If not then its either hacking the 73 pickup that my buddy will give me for free into a blazer look-a-like and swapping vins, or looking for an actual 73 blazer.....

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

1st Gen front springs are 44"...

:cool1:

12. gm500hprat

tks greg

What year is the Blazer thats your icon. Do you know if the centering pin width on the axles are the same? I work at Currie Enetrprises and I asked Art here at currie and he thought that they were, he said they should both be 42.5 center pin to center pin.

13. steve_kibbe

the center pins should be the same. The only time you'll have to move them is if you have a dually rear end, maybe a van rear too. The dually are narrow for clearance. The front are the same. Even if its only an inch different, you can make it work without moving spring perches. All chevy dana 60, 44 and 10 bolts have the same center pin with:D

14. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

The front axles are the same center to center. I have a 75 dana 60 in my 72 k5. The rear axle I think is different. The springs are closer together on the 72. Had to move the spring perches on the 14 bolt I installed but I am not positive what it came out of. Also the shock mounts in the rear are different. The 72, both shocks angle forward off the front of the axle and the 73 and later are staggered one forward and one back. I put 73+ front springs on my 72. I move the front hanger forward about 2" to keep the axle in the same location.

Brent

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

On the Blazers, the front spring pad widths are 100% the same. The 1st Gen rears are different from the '73+ ones...so when you look at interchange data that was written for the 73+ K5s it doesn't apply for the 1st Gens. I seem to recall a rear measurement of 41" but it's been a while. Might want to just throw a tape measure across your current u-bolt plates to confirm??

The pic in my avitar is a '72 K5 with a '69 grille. There are over 600 pictures in my photo gallery....(follow the link in my .sig below)

:cool1:

16. gm500hprat

I asked Travis here at Currie and his documentation was vague on wether these measurements were from two wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. but he showed 42.5 for 73+ and 42.25 for 69-72 I wasn't sure how acurate that was. Thats why I posted here, but If thats the difference thats only 1/8 difference on each side in the rear and the 71 springs should fit. Do those measurements look acurate?

17. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The 73-up 1/2 & 3/4 tons as well as the 67-72 2wd's have a center to center distance of 42.5".

The 67-72 4wd's are 40" center to center.

I had to move the perches on '77 14BFF from 42.5" to 40" to fit my 1971 Suburban.:D

18. gm500hprat

tks ben

thanks ben If I go with the 71 blazer then the swap might be a good time to start the coilover project in the rear. Any body know what the value of a 71 body and frame should be. I havent seen it yet goibng maybe this weekend to look. the guy wants 1500.