Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'73 Pickup + '89 Blazer = Really short shortbed?

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by TruckNutzDude, Jan 31, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

\'73 Pickup + \'89 Blazer = Really short shortbed?

I decided that an S10 body would never be legal in my state and gave up the idea. How about a '73 pickup cab on my '89 chassis with a shortened longbed? I have 2 major questions...Will any of the body mounts be the same? How will I go about shortening the bed to fit behind the cab? and what will it take to make my fuel injection work on the new setup? I hope this post qualifies for this forum, if not can you move it to an appropriate forum? Thanks -Rob-

2. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: \'73 Pickup + \'89 Blazer = Really short shortbed?

From what I have seen I would say not all the body bolts will work if any. They do sell completely different body mount kits for truck and Blazers. As far as shortening the bed thats easy, just cut off x amount of length from the front of the bed and weld a peice of diamond plate in its place. But I realy don't see what you'll gain. The truck cab and blazer cab are the same size. Just curiouse why won't an S-10 be leagal?

3. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    Just curiouse why won't an S-10 be leagal?

[/ QUOTE ] 2 reasons, one is the massive amount of tire exposed and 2 is the emissions laws in this state. as for not gaining anything from swapping from a blazer to a pickup that's open to debate. I think ditching a completely rusted pile of crap for a not so bad '73 pickup is a nice trade off /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I did a 76 pickup body to an 85 blazer frame. Pretty straight forward. Cut the box down 26" and welded it back together.

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have a 74 C20 cab on a K5 frame.The core support mounts and front cab mounts will line up but you will have to fab up a rear cab mount crossmember.I cut 13" off of the front of my stepside bed.Do a search using "truck cab swap",pickup cab swap",or "body swap" for a ton of info /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

6. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    Do a search using "truck cab swap",pickup cab swap",or "body swap"

[/ QUOTE ]
    I did a few searches but didn't come up with anything specific to my question. I got a lot of info on doing an S-10 swap though /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Maybe I should change the title of my post so people can pull it up with a search later /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. FRIZZLEFRY

Wow,I didnt realize that the search feature sucks now.If it went back further than 9 months you could find stuff.I did a bunch of searches using a bunch of different phrases and got nothing good.Only being able to go back 9 months sucks.

As far as switching your fuel injection over,I dont know what all is involved with that.My 81 K5 was carbed.As to the bed shortening,my stepside be was too easy.The front of the bed bolts to the bed sides.So I unbolted the front of the bed and drilled out all of the spot welds holding the front bed corners on.Once I got them off I just cut 13"off of each bed side and then spot welded the front bed corners back on.It looks factory,you cant even teel what I did (other that its only 5 feet long /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

I dunno how ya would do a regular bed but it would be alot of work to make it look good.

8. TruckNutzDude

I'm going to try getting the regular bed to work. I've never seen one in person and I'd like to do something different. I think it's about the same to chop a stepside as a regular bed, most of it just bolts together. I wish somebody had pics of what was involved in this swap. Maybe I can take some and have them scanned /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I have heard that you can use the stock rear body mounting crossmember from the pick-up frame...just drill and bolt it into the blazer frame.
    Just grind the rivets off the old truck from when you take off the cab.
    BLake

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

A fleet side bed will require some body work, but no big deal. It'll be a little worse than a step side because you will have to cut the bed ends off and move them back (cut out a strip) before piecing it back together. Then the bulkhead bolts to those end caps.

Edit: Yes, you can use the cross member from the truck frame, no big deal.

11. cybrfire

OK, I miss spoke earlier in the thread. It's a 76 pickup body on a 7? blazer frame. I get so confused as to what I have and what I used to have and where all the peices came from. Here's some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. FRIZZLEFRY

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey,
    I have heard that you can use the stock rear body mounting crossmember from the pick-up frame...just drill and bolt it into the blazer frame.
    Just grind the rivets off the old truck from when you take off the cab.
    BLake

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not entirely correct /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

K5 frames are wider than truck frames.The truck frames raise up right after the front cab mounts,K5 frames (2nd gen?) are flat from the front body mounts back to just in front of the front rear spring hanger and then raises up.

For my rear cab mount I did cut the crossmember from my 2wd donor truck and use it.I welded it to the top of my frame just in front of where the frame starts to rise.

13. FRIZZLEFRY

[ QUOTE ]
    I wish somebody had pics of what was involved in this swap. Maybe I can take some and have them scanned /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you want pics of?I can snap some of whatever ya want /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I thought they were the same width? And I forgot about the height issue... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Oops. Oh well, still doable, just not a straight drop in...

15. cybrfire

The swap I did, the frames were the same width. The older style frames the raise is in the same place also. Now my current project truck is an 85 body on the 76 frame. the raise was different. Still the same width though.

The truck pictured above no body mounts were altered in any way for the front clip and cab. The box I drilled new holes in for mounting to the frame.

16. FRIZZLEFRY

Not a straight drop in but saved me some work being able to still use it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. FRIZZLEFRY

Cool,sounds like you got lucky.

My 81 frame is 2.5 to 3" wider than the 74 truck frame /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. TruckNutzDude

sounds like I'll have some frame issues going from an '89 chassis to a '73 body. The '79 truck cab should bolt right in correct? I know where I can get one of those if it's simpler to swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. cybrfire

I guess I've personally never messed with a 73 frame or a 74 for that matter. So apparently then spring hangers and all of that are different as well, or spring perches are at a different width then. That would also mean that crossmembers are different and not interchangable?