Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 shop wiring manual

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by oatsk5, Apr 4, 2004.

1. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

wanted 73 shop wiring manual pm me with any info thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I have a '74 wiring diagram book that covers light, medium, and heavy duty trucks. It should be pretty much identical to a '73. Is there any particular section of the wiring that you need to see? I can scan a couple of pages in and email 'em to ya. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. oatsk5

right now i need the engine diag im tryin to figure out were to splice the pig tail for hei conversion are you gonna be at the meet n greet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. HarryH3

Looking at the circuit, I see a yellow wire going to the current coil. If you follow that wire back into the harness, you should find a splice, where a purple wire with black stripe is tied into it. The yellow wire continues down to the starter solenoid, and is what supplies full voltage to the coil during cranking. Once the key moves to the run position, then the power to the coil is coming through the purple/black wire from the ignition switch. Somewhere inline with the purple/black wire is a 1.35 ohm resistor or resistance wire. If you jumper out that resistor, then the HEI will be getting full battery voltage during cranking and while running by connecting it to yellow wire going to the coil you have now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

Got to thinking some more about the schematic. The 2nd wire is labeled P/B. The P may stand for Pink, instead of Purple. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. oatsk5

so heres another ? since it is currently setup for points can i just use the pos coil wire already there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. HarryH3

Yep, but you have to jumper out that resistor first. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif