Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73 Soft Top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Mar 1, 2006.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I am looking into getting the fasttrac soft top but what is the best brand\price to buy from. I am also interested in some pictures of what the bracketry looks like seeing that my 73 is a full convertable I would like to see what it looks like especially by the door area. I have searched and couldnt find anything around the door area.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Sorry, I don't have any pics, but I believe the fastrac version is very simliar to the snap version, aside from how it attaches on the rails. On my '73, Around the door, on my old snap version, you had to drill a hole in the windshield header on the formost section of the bed rail. In those holes you would insert this 3/8" dia. tubular T brace, bottom on tee on hole you drilled on bed rail, front section of tee into windshiled header, and rear section of tee into one of the main foldable U braces. Top fabric wrapped around the t-brace bar above and behind window and velcroed to itself IIRC. Mine never leaked and worked well.
    Sorry, may not be helpful, but hope it is!
    Actually, there is an old pic, but not a close up. To leave it huge so you can see, I just provided the link, you can kinda of see the T-Brace bar in there though....
    http://snyderworld.org/photo/K5Blazer/K5_WheelingBeforeTearDown.jpg

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The STC (Specialty Top Company) makes a higher quality top, IMO, that doesn't cost much more. They have a nice selection of colors as well. I'll get some photos of the hardware tomorrow if ya like. Really happy with mine. Photo taken today, sand K-5 is '75 with top off, and '73 with top on.
    Large version!!! http://www.dontoe.com/albums/album01/2_K5s.jpg

[​IMG]

4. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

The only reason why i ask is because of the weather stripping around the top part of the door, I just want to know if im gonna need to get new weatherstripping mines shot.

from what i have read you have to drill the tail gate and the top of the windsheild with the fasttrac.

thanks for the pic ill have to see if i can enlarge it to see.

anyone else have a pic of the fastrac top around the door?

5. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

if i remember correctly there is nothing above the door to do. You drill a hole On the windshield frame for a small rod and that is about it.Then drill the windshield frame on as well as the tailgate.

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep........
    You don't use anything from the hard top.