Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

73+ springs in a 71?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The lift I have on my truck now is a 4" Rancho system and it's way too rough. The front springs on a 73+ truck are 3" longer than on a 67-72, so they would require less arch to provide the same amount of lift (plus I can make spring mounts that are a little lower off the frame than stock) If I spread the front spring mount and shackle mount out 3" I could fit these? Has anyone done this? If so do you have pictures? Oh yeah I will also run a shackle flip and springs for an 88+ in the rear. TIA</font color=blue>

2. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Never even heard of this, but it sounds like a lot of work for a softer ride. They are leaf spring how soft a ride can you get?

Rasberry 71' K/5 Blazer
    http://www.geocities.com/71blazer

3. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I dont care about the ride, I just need more travel and flex. It is more work than bolting on 4 springs from the 4x4 shop but a lot less work than what I had planned (4 links). You can make leaf springs very flexibile. The key is a long spring with lots of thin leaves instead of 3 or 4 thick ones. The softer leaves will bend easier but since theres much more of them they will also suport the load. This also makes the pack itself thicker so it doesnt need as much of an arch to provide lift. Longer springs have less arch to acheive the same height so they require less force to bend them. Also, machining the sharp edges from the springs, painting them with graphite paint and adding teflon slips between the leaves will reduce friction and allow them to bend more freely. Greased bushings will also allow more spring movement. </font color=blue>

4. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have it all planned out, let us see pic's when its done. I'd be interested in how it turns out and what kind of travel you get.

Rasberry 71' K/5 Blazer
    http://www.geocities.com/71blazer

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Are you going to keep the axle in the same location? If you moved the front mount 2" to the front you may not have to move the rear shackle mount just use a longer shackle (with less arc in the springs the shackle will move less). That will leave the axle foward 1" which will give more room for big tires if the frnders are trimmed. X-over steering should correct the axle being moved.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

6. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Yes, I do plan on moving the front axle foward. My fenders are trimmed, and I'm trying to make some sort of sheilds to go from the frame to the hood then from the firewall to the core suport. This way I can loose my inner fenders. Then I just have to keep cutting the outer fender until the tires fit. i want to keep the lift low to maintain a sensable CG. I have all the parts for crossover except the steering and pitman arm so I will do this at the same time. There was a 69 K5 in the 97 TTC that had this setup (he lowered the spring mounts to provide an inch or two of lift on top of the lift in the springs). He ownes a shop near me, but I havent seen the truck around recently. I may have to call him.</font color=blue>

7. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Well, well, well. I've got the same set up in my 72 with 8" soft ride springs front and homemade shackle reversal in the rear with stock leafs and 4" blocks. Plus a 2" body lift.

My front leaf mounts have been cut and moved forward 1.5 inches, and the front rear mounts have been redrilled and moved backwards 1.5 inches. No problems.

The rear shackle mounts have been cut out on the bottom and supporting plates welded to the sides. This has created a small problem by moving the rear axle forward a bit. I run 38" gumbos on it, and under full flex, this puts the tires into the front of the rear fenders.

I don't have any probs with the front. I you have questions, ask away. I can send you pictures. It's not all that tough to do, and the benefits are tangible.

For anyone wanting this modification, but doesn't want to do it, I'll sell you the blazer.

HarryL
    Utah